Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

Posted by   + Show Post

First Graders Suspended for Playing Cops & Robbers

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 16, 2013 

playgroundYou know, I'm really getting tired of kids being punished for being normal kids. But here we go again. First graders at a Maryland elementary school have been suspended for having the audacity to play a good old-fashioned game of cops and robbers.

OMG. Don the Kevlar! Call out the National Guard! Six-year-olds are playing games on the playground!

After a 6-year-old was suspended -- in Maryland as well -- for pointing his fingers at his classmate and saying "Pow," this latest punishment that doesn't fit the crime hardly surprises me. Heck, we have kids being dubbed sexual deviants at 5 for hugging pals in kindergarten. NOTHING surprises me.

But it does depress me. These blatant over-reactions are slowly destroying childhood as we know it and turning kids into something ... jaded? Old? 

We're expecting kids to face issues that are far above their level of cognition. We're aging them.

Kids shouldn't know about school shootings and mass murders. They shouldn't know that a game of cops and robbers could upset some adults who see shades of darkness where they see only some innocent horseplay.

I can only wonder what is next if we keep pushing kids to explore topics they're not yet ready to deal with. Is cops and robbers going to be replaced by a game of drug dealers and addicts? Or maybe pimps and prostitutes? After all ... we're expecting kids to tackle more and more adult themes, but they are still just kids, kids who engage one another in play. Turning something into a game is in their nature.

I need no more proof of that than to look to these little boys playing cops and robbers. One of the boys' father is an Army staff sergeant who pointed out that his boy is well aware that his dad uses firearms in defense of this nation. He's a kid being brought up to respect guns ... but he's still just a kid who was playing a game.

Do we really want to take that away from our kids?

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (31-40):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

That is nuts.  That is how they hunted then.  Truth in a child's drawing.  The horror. SMH

Quoting 2and2onway:

My son was suspended for 2 days when he was in 2cnd grade and drew a gun in the hands of a pilgrim and an arrow in the hands of an Indian both aiming at a turkey. I fought it and lost. Zero tollerance policies are becoming so ridiclous.

annabelle338
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Just kids bein kids. Its ridiculous how strict schools are gettin!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

no i think even the dumbest of kids understand its just a game .schools need to stop being ridiculously over sensitive about kids games .

let kids be kids ffs

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM
More than that. Cowboys and Indians. It's gone by hundreds of different names over the centuries.

Quoting samanthastaatss:

Well that's a bit over the top. Hasn't that game been around for like +50 years?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Oh man.... my son would be expelled at his old school if we had been in maryland, they used to act out mindcraft and now at his new school they all act out Halo (although i have asked him to stop)  so cops and robbers is nothing! My son has never played or even seen either video game. One kid does and teaches the others.

Christine9576
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I don't see the harm in it.

Reese2010727
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Kids just can't have any fun..I see..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

BUT BUT, if we let them play those games they might become violent (Sarcasm).

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I think schools should read up on studies :/ watching violent movies or video games or even acting out violence doesn't create violent kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tattedladybug
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I know I played it when i was a kid, and dont see anything wrong with it now. We really need to let kids be kids and quite trying to take away their imagination. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)