Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

Posted by   + Show Post

First Graders Suspended for Playing Cops & Robbers

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 16, 2013 

playgroundYou know, I'm really getting tired of kids being punished for being normal kids. But here we go again. First graders at a Maryland elementary school have been suspended for having the audacity to play a good old-fashioned game of cops and robbers.

OMG. Don the Kevlar! Call out the National Guard! Six-year-olds are playing games on the playground!

After a 6-year-old was suspended -- in Maryland as well -- for pointing his fingers at his classmate and saying "Pow," this latest punishment that doesn't fit the crime hardly surprises me. Heck, we have kids being dubbed sexual deviants at 5 for hugging pals in kindergarten. NOTHING surprises me.

But it does depress me. These blatant over-reactions are slowly destroying childhood as we know it and turning kids into something ... jaded? Old? 

We're expecting kids to face issues that are far above their level of cognition. We're aging them.

Kids shouldn't know about school shootings and mass murders. They shouldn't know that a game of cops and robbers could upset some adults who see shades of darkness where they see only some innocent horseplay.

I can only wonder what is next if we keep pushing kids to explore topics they're not yet ready to deal with. Is cops and robbers going to be replaced by a game of drug dealers and addicts? Or maybe pimps and prostitutes? After all ... we're expecting kids to tackle more and more adult themes, but they are still just kids, kids who engage one another in play. Turning something into a game is in their nature.

I need no more proof of that than to look to these little boys playing cops and robbers. One of the boys' father is an Army staff sergeant who pointed out that his boy is well aware that his dad uses firearms in defense of this nation. He's a kid being brought up to respect guns ... but he's still just a kid who was playing a game.

Do we really want to take that away from our kids?

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (41-50):
RLT2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Jesus Christ! It's a GAME! People have gone nuts!

ChocolateJunky
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a little extreme. Jeez. So no more cops and robbers? Space invaders? Cowboys and Indians? Honestly, let the kids be kids. Now if they start physically hurting other children, then take action, but suspension for playing is just outright stupid.

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

We are just going way overboard with this crap.  Ugh!

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

no, its like cowboys and indians or superheroes. they aren't being bad.

a trigger, or reason for concern, would be a 5 year old threatening to kill you will a specific weapon if you don't do what they want. like my brother, who is a convicted felon.

mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

People complain that kids are getting fat. Kids aren't going out to play. Kids are watching too much tv, playing too many video games yadayada.... When i was a kid IN THE 70's we played outside all day. We played cops and robbers. cowboys and indians. We watched tv, then went outside and played wonder woman. I had 2 cousins and we watched charlie's angels and then went outside and played charlies' angels. We would walk down the street and try to make our hair bounce like theirs did. Isn't it a coincidence that the more we shelter our kids the worse they get?

mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Like i heard on the school playground last week. "Give me that quarter or i will chop off your head with scissors and feed it to sharks!" I told a teacher and the response i got was " "J" wouldn't say that, he's such a good kid" Right lady, how long have you been around kids? Those are the ones you need to watch out for.

Quoting bustybee:

a trigger, or reason for concern, would be a 5 year old threatening to kill you will a specific weapon if you don't do what they want. like my brother, who is a convicted felon.

Destiny907
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a good example of how INSANE we are becoming here..  What one of us has not played cops and robbers and... in the past, we used to play cowboys and indians!!! (because of all the westerns on TV) 

I remember being captured by the indians, being tied to a tree and having to be rescued!  What would some say about THAT today?

We have become mentally disturbed as a whole...  

I live in a very very rural area... and during hunting season, some kid had his BOW and arrows IN his pickup, IN their CASE- and unstrung, to boot.    They gave him the suspension or what ever for doing so.. How nuts are we?

428pm
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM

this is ridiculous, in one school in my city, they banned balls saying they were dangerous.  WTF?  Why dont we just wrap them in bubble wrap and force them in a circle to sing kumbaya all day.

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM

The zero tolerance crap in schools is getting to be outrageous.

BabyFruit Ticker
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

yah, my parents babied my brother for years. saying 'I was just being mean'. they let him drop out in grade 7.... because the other kids were starting to gang up on him. my parents never bothered to find out why (his threatening to kill people hourly) just figured he was being picked on..... so at the nice age of 17 he ended up stabbing 3 people (he was high on E incidentally) and seriously injuring a 15 year old girl. my parents tried to cover it up and got him a plea bargain. 18 mos house arrest....

he is now 22 and still regularly threatens to kill people. he works at my parents gold mine, and has been known to pull a knife out and threaten to kill someone... my parents don't do anything to him, and inturn bribe the person he threatened to kill rather than solving the actual issue. my brother.

me, and many many many others think he is the problem, but when the parents encourage that sort of behaviour, and the schools hands are tied. you have to watch out.

Quoting mom23heathens:

Like i heard on the school playground last week. "Give me that quarter or i will chop off your head with scissors and feed it to sharks!" I told a teacher and the response i got was " "J" wouldn't say that, he's such a good kid" Right lady, how long have you been around kids? Those are the ones you need to watch out for.

Quoting bustybee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)