Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you're on FS does that mean you're poor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 271 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just read in another post that just because you're on FS doesn't mean you're poor.  IMO if you can't afford a basic neccesity you're poor.  Not being mean that's just the way it is.  You can only get FS if you make under a certain amount, if it weren't based on income then they would give them to everyone, right?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Well you do have to meet certain income requirements to qualify. I am not sure what they are, but just saying.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes you are poor. If you can't feed your own kids you are poor.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

by definition of the income guidelines to be on FS

yes

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Well, if you were financially rich, you wouldn't qualify, right?  lol.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

ermka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this
isn't that kind of the purpose? They're not ment to help out the wealthy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cmabbott
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM
5 moms liked this

DH makes too much for us to be on FS, we can provide food, but by CafeMom standards yes I'm poor because we shop at Walmart and eat meatloaf and like soup!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Correct, if you can't even feed your children, you are poor!

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Eh, not really. Some people on food stamps are foster parents, who automatically receive some fs for the foster kids. I've also seen some who receive fs because they personally don't have an income, but they live in a household with a decent income so they aren't really poor. My bil receives food stamps with his ssi because he lives with his mom and dad, even though his mom makes plenty of money. Then, of course, I also know people who make less than the income requirements for fs but do not use it, who live quite well, just by being smart with the money they do make.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I don't get food stamps but according to cafemom I am poor lol.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I know some one can be working and still need the help. It is called the working poor. Dh and I are considered the working "poor". We do not qualify for assistance and we make it but just barely. I am actively looking for work and he is looking for better paying job without letting his current employer know as he doesn't want to burn his bridges.  We have NO consumer debt. It is all medical.  And then average household expenses. We owe nothing on our vehicles.  We are doing the best we can and it will get better. We are barely over the limit to get assistance, so it could be a case like that, if they have more than 3 kids.  I know if we had 2 more kids, we'd probably get some whopper assistance, but I am not having more kids. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN