Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you're on FS does that mean you're poor?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I just read in another post that just because you're on FS doesn't mean you're poor.  IMO if you can't afford a basic neccesity you're poor.  Not being mean that's just the way it is.  You can only get FS if you make under a certain amount, if it weren't based on income then they would give them to everyone, right?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

yes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

yes and just to clarify.  If you recieve WIC you are also lower income.  Some people do not understand that not everyone qualifies for WIC, that is still free stuff.

milseymama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

wow. 

as a single mother, fulltime employee and fulltime student, it really hurts to be called poor. 

yes the truth hurts, but aren't we here to support each other.

sad

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I consider our family among the working poor, we are poor compared to the other U.S. Citizens, but if you compare me to some in a starving 3rd world citizen I probably look pretty wealthy.  If we lost our FS it would make it harder but I think we wouldn't starve to death.

zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, I'd say you are if you are needing that assistance

VannaMae307
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Well, considering it is based on income that can be no more than 130% over the poverty line...I would say, yes, it means you are poor (low income).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
This is not a support group by any means. It was just a question no need to get upset about it.

Quoting milseymama:

wow. 

as a single mother, fulltime employee and fulltime student, it really hurts to be called poor. 

yes the truth hurts, but aren't we here to support each other.

sad

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM

anything that has an income cap, like WIC, food stamps, medicaid, cash assistance is for low income families, meaning those in poverty.  Yes I know the WIC income goes a litle higher, but you still have to be low income to get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM

If you can't buy food your POOR! Sorry there is no other way to describe it.

sjenkins8208
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM
My sister was on food stamps for 8 months until she died. She had leukemia and had to quit her job.....she had two kids to feed. She wouldn't have been "poor" if she could have worked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)