Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you're on FS does that mean you're poor?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I just read in another post that just because you're on FS doesn't mean you're poor.  IMO if you can't afford a basic neccesity you're poor.  Not being mean that's just the way it is.  You can only get FS if you make under a certain amount, if it weren't based on income then they would give them to everyone, right?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
micheledo
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I don't think being on food stamps means you are poor. But then my view of poor is very, very different from our governments. Part of that is from growing up what many would have labeled poor and part of that is from living overseas a litle bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM
If you get any welfare including wic you're poor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
If you're eligible for food stamps, you're poor. No two ways about it. Lots of people who are over income are poor too. It's not an insult. It's a fact.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Quoting milseymama:

wow. 

as a single mother, fulltime employee and fulltime student, it really hurts to be called poor. 

yes the truth hurts, but aren't we here to support each other.

sad

well, you're poor. What does that have to do with support.
Master_Debater
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
They're find out anyway w/o her saying anything. Everything's computerized now. They knew I had a job and where before I got a chance to report it.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are supposed to report how much you have in savings. If you have a bank account, they need to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

the govt. doesn't see whats in my savings and retirements accounts thank goodness! Right now I lost my job and took one paying less but I still have my savings and retirement account going.  Hopefully w/ in the next year ill get a better paying one. Im glad they don't look and I haven't been forced to clear everything out.

Quoting TSNDDY:

If you need food stamps, yes you are poor. I don't understand how someone could need assistance and claim not to be poor?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cmabbott:

DH makes too much for us to be on FS, we can provide food, but by CafeMom standards yes I'm poor because we shop at Walmart and eat meatloaf and like soup!

I am no where near poor, but I shop at Walmart, I'm making meatloaf this week, and soup, yummy! 

Gasp!  What must people think of me!?

model1000mom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Personally to me yes it means you are poor (or in better terms lower income)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that "they" found out about an already closed bank account and asked where that money went.  I think she's either full of shit or she's going to be caught.

Quoting Master_Debater:

They're find out anyway w/o her saying anything. Everything's computerized now. They knew I had a job and where before I got a chance to report it.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are supposed to report how much you have in savings. If you have a bank account, they need to know.

Quoting Anonymous:

the govt. doesn't see whats in my savings and retirements accounts thank goodness! Right now I lost my job and took one paying less but I still have my savings and retirement account going.  Hopefully w/ in the next year ill get a better paying one. Im glad they don't look and I haven't been forced to clear everything out.

Quoting TSNDDY:

If you need food stamps, yes you are poor. I don't understand how someone could need assistance and claim not to be poor?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are getting food stamps and you aren't poor, you are trash.
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting sjenkins8208:

My sister was on food stamps for 8 months until she died. She had leukemia and had to quit her job.....she had two kids to feed. She wouldn't have been "poor" if she could have worked.

the system should be used for people like her. There is a lot of abuse, but I don't think anyone would complain about someone like her using it.  Sorry for your loss BTW

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)