Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**OMFG EDIT IN RED!!!* I hate it when people tell me... (Lengthy)

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 60 Replies

...that my life (in the past) could have been sooo much worse.

My mom got sick when I was 17. She had colon cancer. She died 2 months after we found out. When she was still alive, I dropped out of high school to take care of her. After she died, I went to live with my uncle on my dad's side (before my mom died, my grandma died a month earlier and my grandpa was dead about 3 years before then). 

Living there wasn't too bad, but I was rebelling and when I went to my friend's house to spend the weekend (out of town), I took painkillers with alcohol and my friend told my uncle when I got back to his house. I lived with him from November 2008 to May 2009, and I was "grounded" the whole time. I went back to high school but since I dropped out the previous year, I was so far behind on credits that I just gave up because I had no motivation and dropped out again in May 2009 when I turned 18. 

My family decided that I couldn't live with them unless I had a job or was in school, so they kicked me out. I had nowhere to go. I was sleeping in my friend's cars and wearing dirty clothes, I had to steal food, clothes, shampoo, etc. and sneak into the local community house (only open on weekdays, I didn't get to shower on weekends) in order to shower. 

We do not have a homeless shelter around here. The nearest one is 74 miles away. 

I eventually talked one of my friends into letting me live with her until I found someplace to go. I was single at the time (obviously) and was part of an online dating site. I met a guy on there, we started dating, and 3 weeks later we got a house together and I went to live with him (I was 18 at this point). He ended up getting fired from his job for sexual harrassment (really?!) so I had to find something fast. I ended up online as a "webcam model" and used that to pay our bills and rent. I ended up getting on foodstamps around the time I turned 19. 

That same year, my ex and I broke up because he wanted to screw other girls (and did). I found a friend that was also going through a breakup and we got an apartment together. My ex paid the security deposit, I still haven't paid him back (oh well). 

I left town one time to visit one of my friends, and my roommate texted me FREAKING OUT saying that I had the money to pay the electric bill (which I didn't, I gave it to her before I left) and that it was due. I explained to her that I left it with her, and she kept denying it. Her name was the primary name on the lease and she kicked me out. 

I then stayed with my friend's parent's friend (he wasn't old, he was like 28ish) who said I could live with him as long as I bought groceries for the house and kept my room clean. Totally fine. (This is the point where my life starts to get better...)

About a couple weeks after moving in with him, I met my current SO through a mutual friend, and I ended up moving in with him, and that's all she wrote.

So yes, I had a really fucking hard life. I hate when people say my life is so easy. 

EDIT: Oh my fucking god! I did not jump from guy to guy. This all took place over a 3 1/2 year time span! I was with two guys in the whole story. The first one cheated, the second one I'm still with, and have been with for over two years. So shut the hell up with that shit.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShanesMommy2012
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

People tell me that also, they only see my life now. They have no idea what it was like growing up with an abusive mother who would rather pop pills than do anything. I have a great life now because I had to work my ass off to get it. I get really upset when people tell me that, if they could have seen me 15 years ago they would feel like shit. I am thankful my life is better now. You know how hard your life has been don't let other idiots bother you.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Im sorry you have had a hard life. Hopefully you will finish your education and start making better choices. How long have you been with your SO?

helema24
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

i was sexually abused as a child and sometimes i get the "at least your still alive" comment sometimes. it would of been less hell for me if i had died! i hate the "it could of been worse" or "at least your alive" lines!

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replySPOCK'S MILKSHAKE[]

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM
It doesn't sound like an easy life and I really hate when people always have to compare struggles. Ya know?? I know people have it worse but that doesn't mean something I went thru doesn't suck.
Just curious why you would be homeless over getting a job or going to school?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ShanesMommy2012
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Since November 11, 2010.

So a little over 2 years now. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Im sorry you have had a hard life. Hopefully you will finish your education and start making better choices. How long have you been with your SO?

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

You didn't have an easy life, but it really could have been so much worse.

Many people could only DREAM of having a life as wonderful and "easy" as yours. But that doesn't diminish the fact that it was hard on you.

Why do people say this to you, anyway? Do you complain about your past a lot?

ShanesMommy2012
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I was ignorant and stubborn at the time. When things got really hard, I asked to move back in (I offered to find a job and go back to school online) but they had pretty much disowned me by then.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

It doesn't sound like an easy life and I really hate when people always have to compare struggles. Ya know?? I know people have it worse but that doesn't mean something I went thru doesn't suck.
Just curious why you would be homeless over getting a job or going to school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Post about it in another 10 years.  I'll be curious to see how it has gone from now until then.  

ShanesMommy2012
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I don't complain a lot, but I was talking about it earlier today to a friend. She went on to tell me to shut up and that my life wasn't that hard.

Quoting danie24:

You didn't have an easy life, but it really could have been so much worse.

Many people could only DREAM of having a life as wonderful and "easy" as yours. But that doesn't diminish the fact that it was hard on you.

Why do people say this to you, anyway? Do you complain about your past a lot?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured