Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Officially a Lazy, Entitled Moocher...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 70 Replies

I finally got my kids on our state-run free healthcare system for children.  Health insurance is too expensive, even after working 40 hrs/week and getting student loans.  I suppose I could "afford" it if I made sacrifices like eating healthy food and buying pricey vitamins, but those things are top priority to me.  I believe that it's more important for us all to keep ourselves healthy naturally so that we need less healthcare in the long run, than it is to pay a premium and sacrifice our health by eating crappy food.  So lay it on me ladies, I'm evil welfare trash now *eye roll*

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

YAY!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh, we're going back on FS. Lost my job, can't find another, and we've been barely making it on food for 2 months now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM
We are on state insurance. Through my husbands company it was costing us $400 per month with a 1500 deductible PER person. The income requirements are pretty high for state insurance and we qualify so why the heck not??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I had to get my nephew on state assisted health care. My husband and I got guardianship of him but since it wasnt court appointed we could not get him on dh insurance. My sis is homeless and jobless due to mental issues and dshs would not allow her to put him on with her since he lives with us. And we do not have the extra money to lay for private insurance just for him. I didnt want to go for assistance but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand how you qualify for medicaid when you work 40hours a week. If you work full time your employer has to offer medical insurance. If you have medical insurance available you have to take that rather then medicaid. Also you can not (legally) carry health insurance on yourself and not on your children.

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My son is FAR down on the waiting list for an insurance waiver and I've been told his medicaid will be cut in two weeks due to being over income.  He cannot go without his meds or therapy so I'm basically being forced to have my hours and pay cut at work to reduce my salary enough to qualify for medicaid.  This would not be an issue at all (and would probably be cheaper for the state) if they just opened up more waivers.

But instead, I will now be a part time mom on the "system."  Oh fucking well.  I gotta take care of mine and I tried going about it the proper way and was screwed.  If people dont like it they can get bent and take it up with the State of Michigan (and they SHOULD 'cuz i've tried contacting everyone I can think of up to the Governor himself and have gotten no advice except "make use of the medicaid and get food stamps to make up for the cut in pay."

W-T-F!

MiniMax
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

My dh works for NASA and they dont even offer insurance.... keep dreaming. We have to pay for our own insurance.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand how you qualify for medicaid when you work 40hours a week. If you work full time your employer has to offer medical insurance. If you have medical insurance available you have to take that rather then medicaid. Also you can not (legally) carry health insurance on yourself and not on your children.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I'm planning on getting state health insurance for my daughter when she's born because I have a minimum wage job and pretty much all of my money goes to school, food, and rent. I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. If you qualify, then why not?

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It's not Medicaid.  It's state-run, the income requirements are a little higher, and my husband is in school with no income, so we qualify.  The insurance through work is $600 a month and that's more than (I think) 30% of my income so I don't have to take it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I think state healthcare for kids is one of the best forms of PA that exists.  Children, of all people especially, deserve decent healthcare.  Actually, I think everyone deserves it, but children are a good start.  I"m grateful for never needing it personally and am very glad that your kids, OP, are getting the health insurance they need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)