Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop pushing drugs on my kid! *kind of long, sorry* but need help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies

Ok I have a question, I have a child that has ADD. I had his IEP meeting today at the school, originally his IEP said Language disability, the changed that today to overall learning disabilities. The teacher kept saying that his inability to stay focused is hindering him academically and then went on to say that we should put him on meds for it. I told her that he used to be on adderall and was taken off of it because he developed insomnia, violent outbursts, moments of extreme lethargy and appetite changes. I told her that I would not do that to him again. She didnt want to hear it, she said by not placing him on meds I am doing him a disservice. I dont want my child to be dependant on narcotics, he is a smart kid, he just has difficulty focusing and because of that he is struggling with math and reading, but he tries! I tell him never say you can't do something, you can if you put your mind to it. my question is this, do any of you have a child with ADD and learning disabilities that used alternative treatments instead of drugs? i really want my son to love school and to thrive but i dont want him to go thru what he did when he was on adderall, I swear he wasnt even like my kid when he was on that. please help!

*EDIT* Thank you to all the moms that gave me websites and all the other options! I have read every reply and I am grateful to you all. i am writting down every suggestion that does not have to do with meds and tomorrow my day will be spent researching every single last one of them. *hugs* thank you!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mary841108
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM

ty

Quoting mary841108:

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

anyone at all???

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

my nephew refuses to take drugs.  my SIL refused to give them to him.  he is 14 and basically is passing ONE class, PE

there are other drugs to offset the side effects, and dosage may need to be played around with.

just saying

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Is homeschooling an option?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM

not in our area, we'd have to payout of pocket for it and we cant afford that

Quoting Anonymous:

Is homeschooling an option?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Seek out a boys school. Regular schools aren't designed with boys in mind. Period. Boys usually don't flourish when they are made to sit still and pay attention all day.  Also maybe a Montassori school would help, since it's completely different academically.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont want to play around with my childs system like that, i am adamant to not use medication.

Quoting Anonymous:

my nephew refuses to take drugs.  my SIL refused to give them to him.  he is 14 and basically is passing ONE class, PE

there are other drugs to offset the side effects, and dosage may need to be played around with.

just saying

BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Obviously the teacher wasn't getting what you were saying.  I'd have continuted to LOUDLY repeat what I was saying until she quieted down and listened.  There are other options besides Adderall, which btw is not a narcotic, it's a stimulant - huge difference.  Those side effects are horrible and obviously the risk of the medication is not worth the benefit.  I'd have a kind conversation with the teacher about risk/benefit analysis and ask her point blank if she just wants him medicated for her convenience, and why is she so intent on ignoring your son's comfort? Then again, confrontation is no biggie for me.  If promise you if you stand your ground and they realize they can't push you, they will probably begin to be reasonable.  If not, look into your options, consult a lawyer, get another doctor's opinion, go above their heads -- there are MANY options available to you that the school won't necessarily tell you about.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured