Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is America the only country where women don't care how they look? ETA!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 312 Replies
11 moms liked this

When did it become acceptable to wear pajamas outside of the house when you aren't sick or pregnant, or your kids aren't sick?  There was once a time where a woman took pride in  her appearance and strived to make a good first impression.  When did that change?  

I know a lot of women just don't care anymore and say things like "It's my life, I'll dress how I want to dress", "I'm not trying to impress anyone", "Who cares what I look like?"  

I've learned that if you take pride and care in your appearance outside of your home, people are more likely to take you seriously.  Honestly, if you were at the grocery store and two people made a recommendation on a food item, who would you take more seriously?  The mom in sweats who isn't pregnant or sick, or the polished woman?  

Is this common in just America, or have women in other countries given up how they look as well?

Edit:

Well, it seems I struck a nerve with some of you.  

I never said everyone has to wear 50s type housewives dress, an evening gown, or a skirt/pants set to go grocery shopping.  Nor did I say I dressed like that.  I didn't even say "Nana nana boo boo I'm better than you!" but some of you seemed to take it that way.  All I asked was when did it become acceptable to wear pajamas outside the house, and when did some women stop caring about how they look?  

I should have clarified that it's important that anyone, not just women, should care about how they look.  My mom was dirt poor when she was growing up but she said her mother would have been so embarrased if her children would have looked slovenly, and that there was never an excuse for being dirty and unkempt.  

Hell, even a pair of jeans, a tshirt, sneakers, and brushed hair is better than a pair of pajamas that have been slept in.   

But of course, this is all my opinion.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM
10 moms liked this
Haha. I agree. But good luck with this post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kokoscold
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Prepared to get bashed......

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
7 moms liked this

I can't speak for the women in other countries because I don't know how they live. However, I do agree with this post. As children our parents taught us this same thing. You don't have to have on a full face or wear your Sunday best everyday but you should take pride in your appearance. And even if you're pregnant it's still not an excuse. Especially then! I hate seeing a pregnant woman walking around with half her belly hanging out of teeny tiny t-shirt. LOL!

**And I just feel good anyway when I'm dressed to impress :-)**

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I care how I look when I go out but not the extent I stress over it. If I need milk after the gym, I go get it even if a little sweaty. But I'm not rolling out to do a full on grocery shop in my tweety birds.
kailalaila
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

popcorn

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM
10 moms liked this
Honestly the woman in sweats....I would assume she did more cooking the polished woman....

However there is quite a bit between pajamas and being polished.

Causual is an ok look to...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tleedavis
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM
10 moms liked this

I have no time for makeup or anything like that. Between a full time job, 3 kids and a freaking insatiable husband, it isnt really a priority. My clothes are clean, my hair isnt sticking up and I put deodorant on this morning, so all is well.

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM
6 moms liked this

Oh no! SOmeone won't take my food recommendation seriously?! *cries* LOL

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol
How about women who dont get out of the workout attire?

Hate seeing this look more and more.
And the freakin ball caps with it

Ok ok you work out or go jogging on a regular basis, but do you live i those clothes all day long?
Lol

I do my thing and cant wait to shower and get out of my sweaty clothes. I dont have to prove i work out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM
9 moms liked this

Seriously I really don't care. There are some days that I may not APPEAR sick, but that doesn't mean that I actually feel well. I really don't care what a stranger I see in a store thinks of me so I will continue wearing my pajama's whenever I want. Thank you very much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN