Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think is cheaper and why?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 46 Replies

Lets take out all factors to make this fair. You live next door to the grocery store and will be walking there. It takes 2 minutes to walk there; you could literally spit out your window and hit the store. No gas costs, and you have tons of time on your hands.

Is it cheaper to meal plan and buy every week/2 weeks/once a month or keep your house pretty sparse and run to the store 2-3 (or 7) times a week for what you need?

I meal plan. I really do. Then I grocery shop in bulk and end up with tons of crap I never use and frequently throw stuff out. I really think it would be cheaper in the long run if I buy what I need for the next few meals, plan leftovers into the next meals, and get what I need as needed.

Like, I made soup last week... so I needed 3 celery stalks. I fed my kids each one. Then I threw away the other 75% of the container. My kids don't really like raw celery. I have OCD and can't tolerate the texture of the strings when raw. None of us overly like celery but it goes good in the soup I made. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a cup of chopped celery from the salad bar and have no waste?

I dunno. I feel like I can't win. I'm just so tired of throwing out so much food. My 1 year old is on whole milk, so I buy a gallon for her because I have this delusion that she needs whole milk for some reason, but she drinks maybe 6 oz per sitting.  128 oz/6 oz serving = 21 glasses. Yeah, we dump the milk out a lot. Seems like in the long run I'd do better buying her a half gallon, even though its only 70 cents less than a gallon, and having less waste. Don't I save the 70 cents if she's only going to drink half of the gallon before it expires? (I'm lactose intolerant so I don't use it for cooking or anything)

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I don't know how people shop once every couple of weeks...or longer. They must be eating processed crap.

I have to shop at least once a week because all our food is fresh. I rarely shop the center aisles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

when my husband is home and in town we shop like we live in germany pretty much we plan our meals for that day and got get it all fresh that day ..when he is gone for work i shop for the week its just easy when im on my own ...we spend about the same either way we shop

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM

You can freeze meat, but yeah, all the fruits and veggies only last a couple days. It is a pain. :(

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I don't know how people shop once every couple of weeks...or longer. They must be eating processed crap.

I have to shop at least once a week because all our food is fresh. I rarely shop the center aisles.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Agreed. We shop every Friday.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Yeah and I prefer not to freeze my fish and chicken...I can tell the difference in meat that has been frozen:(

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You can freeze meat, but yeah, all the fruits and veggies only last a couple days. It is a pain. :(

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

catrig
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Not in our case. I utilize my freezer.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I don't know what's cheaper, but I buy only non perishables and stuff I can freeze on my big trips and everything else I walk to the local grocery store for
dollface929
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I have the same problem. But I know what will get eaten and what won't usually.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

It's called owning a freezer. We live way out in the boonies and it would be really expensive for us to drive to town once a week to shop. We buy enough food to last us a month and we throw it in the freezer. No process food in our basket.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
You freeze fruits and vegetables?

Quoting Anonymous:

It's called owning a freezer. We live way out in the boonies and it would be really expensive for us to drive to town once a week to shop. We buy enough food to last us a month and we throw it in the freezer. No process food in our basket.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured