Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Running pains?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I've been trying to get into a workout groove for what seems like ever. I finally started running, and it really is something I can lose myself in. I LOVE it.
Problem is, after 2 weeks, my knees are KILLING me. Like, my inner knees, right off of my kneecap (if that makes sense?) any tips??
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by Anne on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM

you might need better shoes or a knee brace

winkyloafer
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Invest in a foam roller and use them 15 minutes before and after your run. They also help with your feet, as well. Take an epsom salt bath after a run.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM

It's your shoes, and are you running on concrete or pavement? Both are knee killers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Thanks! What is a foam roller?

Quoting winkyloafer:

Invest in a foam roller and use them 15 minutes before and after your run. They also help with your feet, as well. Take an epsom salt bath after a run.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I was wondering. They're just cheap-o $30, from Target that I picked up for a step class that I went to once. Lol.

What shoes are best? I have pretty low arches.

Quoting Kerannmer:

It's your shoes, and are you running on concrete or pavement? Both are knee killers.

winkyloafer
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
It's a foam cylinder that you place your knee, foot, etc., on and roll it. There are different sizes and densities. If there's a specialty running store in town, go there and buy one. They should be in other sporting good stores as well but if you do have the running store, they'll help you with sizes and densities.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks! What is a foam roller?

Quoting winkyloafer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Have you been fitted at a speciality running store?

That will make a huge difference! Don't go to a big chain. Go to one that puts you a full foot analyzer and then puts you on a treadmill and videos and analyses your run! It's the only way to go!

I went from not being able to run before and then when I got the fitted correctly in two months I trained and ran my first half marathon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM
This should help out a lot

A good pair of shoes can be pricy but it's the best investment to make. I have a good pair of Asics that got me through two half-marathons.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was wondering. They're just cheap-o $30, from Target that I picked up for a step class that I went to once. Lol.

Quoting Kerannmer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jordiegirl
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
If you have a fleet feet store near you I would recommend them! I started running and they have been a HUGE help to get me into the right shoe for my feet, they also have GREAT knowledge!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I've always run in Asics or Saucony. Your best bet is to go to somewhere like a Road Runner, where you run on a treadmill, they sensor your feet, then find the best shoes for you...totally worth it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kerannmer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)