Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thyroid medication..Armour?...turned more into a vent sorry.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know this is a rather random place to post this, but I wanted to be anon so..

Does anyone have any experience with the thyroid medication Armour? 

My grandmother started taking this medication a year ago. Her bp went up, and she became delusional. Her dr. insisted she keep taking the medication, but as far as I know, never tested her thyroid levels again. My grandma ended up taking double her dosage for some months before we caught it. 

In October she started loosing weight, vomiting, having chest pains. All these are side effects of that medication. Add to the fact that she was accidentally taking more than prescribed...How the fuck did her doctor not catch this?! I guess I'm just trying to find someone to blame. 

Once that problem was fix, she stayed sick. (My aunt has been the one "in charge" of taking her to the dr.) In November my mom stepped in. Got second opinions, and kept pressing her primary dr. to do more test. Finally, after months of her being so sick, they have confirmed that she has a very fast spreading cancer. It supposedly started in her lungs, and now (according to this dumbass of a dr.) has spread within a month all over her body. 

WHY? WHY DID IT TAKE THE DOCTORS SO LONG? HOW CAN A WOMAN THAT HAS BEEN HEALTHY HER WHOLE LIFE, NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY WHEN SHE SAYS SHE SICK?! IF THIS IS SUCH A FAST MOVING CANCER WHY DIDN'T THEY DO A BIOPSY BACK IN DECEMBER WHEN THEY FOUND THE TUMORS? AND WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY ALLOWING HER TO STAY SO MISERABLE AND ACTING LIKE THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO?

She's got an appt with an oncologist next week, but as fast as this is affecting her...I'm so worried that they are just not doing anything right/or fast enough. 

The main reason I wrote this post was wondering if the medication had been linked to cancer. My grandma has no history of cancer in her family, and has never even had any surgeries of any kind. Never been in the hospital. The worst she ever had was shingles. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Replies (31-33):
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM

It is the preferred med for people with hypothyroidism.  Preferred by patients who are on it, but sadly most endocrinologists push synthroid and some will even threaten to drop the patient if they ask for armour.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thatkidsmomkms:

No, Armour is NOT linked to cancer. I've been on it for 20+ years. I have taken Synthroid for a couple of those years, but went back to Armour because it was better for my bodies needs. I had my thyroid removed following thyroid cancer. Armour is generally used for patients who have no thyroid, or who need support for all their thyroid hormones (T3, T4, etc) not just a single hormone as is found in Synthroid.

So do you think it's just as good for a person that still has a working thyroid?

thatkidsmomkms
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Preferred by the patients, but good luck finding a dr who will prescribe it. I'm lucky my doc is 78 years old and still practicing. I hate to think what may happen when he retires. He's an old fashioned treat the symptoms kind of guy. Most of the other docs in the clinic are kids I went to high school with and they still try to push antibiotics for ear infections.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

It is the preferred med for people with hypothyroidism.  Preferred by patients who are on it, but sadly most endocrinologists push synthroid and some will even threaten to drop the patient if they ask for armour.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thatkidsmomkms:

No, Armour is NOT linked to cancer. I've been on it for 20+ years. I have taken Synthroid for a couple of those years, but went back to Armour because it was better for my bodies needs. I had my thyroid removed following thyroid cancer. Armour is generally used for patients who have no thyroid, or who need support for all their thyroid hormones (T3, T4, etc) not just a single hormone as is found in Synthroid.

So do you think it's just as good for a person that still has a working thyroid?

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, my doc is in his 70's too.  I shudder to think what I'm going to do when he retires.

Quoting thatkidsmomkms:

Preferred by the patients, but good luck finding a dr who will prescribe it. I'm lucky my doc is 78 years old and still practicing. I hate to think what may happen when he retires. He's an old fashioned treat the symptoms kind of guy. Most of the other docs in the clinic are kids I went to high school with and they still try to push antibiotics for ear infections.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thatkidsmomkms:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN