Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you ever medicate a child if not needed? Update in blue

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

As a person who works with children I have questioned some parenting choices (of other parents) throughout the years- like the mom who has a 10 month old who is teething & mom doesn't want to give meds to ease pain. Okay, I can feel you on that one, although personally medication in that case would not only ease the child's pain but mom's headache from hearing the baby cry as well. But it's whatever. Like I said, I get it.

But this one tops the cake. DD (3yo) has slight case of pink eye & an ear infection so bad DD's face starts to swell on the side with the ear infection. DS (11mos) has yellowish green snot & mom is told (by me) that possibly cold/sinus infection but no need to keep DS home. She said since DD had doc appt for face (at that time we had no idea it was pink eye & ear infection) she would get DS in to the doc as well.

Fast forward a week later DS is now eating table food (versus baby food) at mom's consent & he breaks out in rash all over body. Mom is called to come pick him up & take him to doc since it is unknown what caused it. Next day I call mom to ask how the little man is doing & if we should expect him. She says it was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillian she was giving him. I asked why he was on it & her reply was "DD had that ear infection so I gave DS some amoxicillian too so he didn't get sick."

O_o

So mom brought DS in today & after his morning nap I noticed he had some green goop in his left eye. At first I didn't think anything of it other than he has an ear infection & it's probably coming out his eye now (my own DS had that issue a few years ago, ear infection in both ears & an eye infection in both eyes that was NOT pink eye). After lunch I noticed the whites of his eyes are pink. I show the director who says it might be the cold we already knew he had. Then after his afternoon nap BOTH eyes are goopy & pink! Director looks at him again & says "Boy he looks like he has pink eye!" But yet does not call mom to come get him. HOWEVER she DID leave instructions to tell mom that he needs to be seen by a doc to rule out pink eye before he can come back & if she takes him & it is NOT pink eye or anything else contagious then we will need a note saying such.

And I definitely made sure I washed my hands more than usual because it sure did look like pink eye to me!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I would not.  For one, it's important to take all of your prescription, not a reduced amount because you're sharing it.  Secondly, that's just  plain stupid.

3lilmonsters88
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Lol wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NBean311
by Chivette on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM

No. It's not good for anyone to take unnecessary antibiotics, it messes with your acquired immunity. Also, we never have extra because you need to completely finish antibiotics to eradicate things from your system, rather than just the symptoms. 

winterglow
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I agree entirely.

Quoting disneymom2two:

No, I would not.  For one, it's important to take all of your prescription, not a reduced amount because you're sharing it.  Secondly, that's just  plain stupid.

MotherOF5Cuties
by Abby on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I knew someone that would give their kids benadryl every night so they can go to bed early and I always wondered damn her kid goes to bed at the same time every nigh ,till one day she was over my house and my kid was acting up and she says well you should give her some benadryl to come her down and put her to sleep.. After that day I never want watching my kids lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM
The nurse at my sons pedis office suggested Benadryl to help him sleep. I was like, uh no. Just no.

Quoting MotherOF5Cuties:

I knew someone that would give their kids benadryl every night so they can go to bed early and I always wondered damn her kid goes to bed at the same time every nigh ,till one day she was over my house and my kid was acting up and she says well you should give her some benadryl to come her down and put her to sleep.. After that day I never want watching my kids lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Lol idiot! No, we try to not use meds, even benadryl and motrin, we try to use natural treatments.
JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM

good lord NO....im very picky on medicine and only give it when absolutely needed

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:56 AM

No, never...I've noticed, though, that people assume that because a woman has a baby, they think she won't be stupid anymore.  Not true...she's still stupid, and if her kids aren't careful she'll make them stupid too.

MarShy740
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:58 AM
I never give medicine if it is not needed! That's crazy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN