Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vicodin for an 18 month old. Doc said flu is like heroin withdraws? Updates in OP

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM
  • 83 Replies

My 18 month old has had the flu since Monday. I thought he was getting better until his fever spiked tonight and his breathing was rapid and labored. Poor little guy was crying in his sleep and just miserable. He had some pus on his throat, so while waiting for the strep test to come back at the ER, the doc brings him some meds to ease him. It's liquid Vicodin and zofran. Vicodin for pain and cough, zofran to help him sleep. Strep was negative and he sent me home with a prescription of liquid Vicodin, Motrin and zofran. I'm supposed to give him the Vicodin every 3-4 hours. The doc said that severe flu can disrupt endorphin receptors, giving symptoms just like heroin withdraws. 

Wtf? Granted, he is feeling much better and sleeping, but I've never heard of such a thing. Should I really give my 18 month old Vicodin all day?

* My pedi said while they don't prescribe liquid Vicodin,  he didn't see him, to go ahead and give it as prescribed. Thanks for the non commital answer doc. He said it is too late for YDS, that he just has to ride out the virus now. But to bring DD in if she gets worse or spikes a fever. That there are anti virals they can give to reduce the severity and lifespan of the virus. 

* *He is doing better. He woke up with a low grade fever today, usually it's really high. Now he has a really bad cough. So bad he gags from it in the middle of the night and has trouble catching his breath. I'm taking my daughter to the pedi today for anti virals. I have to take YDS with me, so I will ask the pedi (different pedi, its a pediatric center) what he thinks and see if there is something equally as effective, but not as strong to give him. So far he only has had 3 doses. One yesterday morning, and two last night (one at bed and one at 4 am when he was coughing so bad I thought he was going to throw up). I'm going with as needed. I am also only giving him 3 mls instead of 4.  It seems to work just as well.  It doesn't make him loopy at all, which I was afraid of. He just seems better, laughing and playing. I am also giving him so all natural cough and cold meds, since it is the only thing that is labelled for 2 and under.  

I'm afraid the strep test gave a false negative, because my throat is exruciatingly painful, and full of pus and blood. I'm going to urgent care after DH gets home to get tested for strep. 

* * * all of my kids have had a flu shot. They didn't test him for flu, thank god. Those things hurt. He said they treat flu like they treat all viruses. And it's some kind of virus, maybe flu, maybe not. I'm glad they didn't subject him to the flu swab. He was miserable enough. Crying in his sleep. It's bad, whatever it is.

* * * * Ok, just got back from urgent care for me and DD. They said there is another virus going around that is causing fever, sore throat, and sinus infection. She prescribed antibiotics for me and DD, and some cough syrup with codeine for me, DD, and YDS. SHe said while it is ok to give YDS the vicodin, its dangerous because of the overdose risk. If I were to forget that I already gave him a dose, and gave him another one, it could be fatal. Codeine carries less risk. And that if I was going to continue to give him the vicodin, to make a chart listing the times and what not, and to use extreme caution.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM
No clue... my kids thankfully have never had the flu. Hope your little darling feels much better real soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I have no clue...but here is a bump!

good luck!

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I'm not a doctor so I can't help you there but I am a Pharmacy Tech and I've seen doctors order vicodin for babies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM
3 moms liked this

i would give it just enough to releive the pain so the child can sleep...if he seems miserable without his next dose, then give it to him...you're not doing him any favors keeping him in pain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Zofran is for nausea and will make a person sleepy. I gave my little ones liquid vicodin because it helped to control their coughs when nothing else would. Given how painful the flu is for adults who understand what is going on, I can't imagine how it is for little kids. Studies have been done that show that people heal faster when they are not in pain. I have no problem with giving pain meds...My only concern would be that narcotics can suppress breathing, so I would keep an extra close eye on my little one.

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I think I would get a second opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Uh, nah I don't think I'd do that. My dd was just hospitalized for bad flu and it made her have a bad asthma attack and they did not say or do such a thing. I have not heard of such a thing before. vicodin is a narc, correct? every 4 hours for how many days because his fake heroin withdraw is going to be real vicodin with draw with such a tiny body. idk bout all that.

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM

The last thing I want to do is keep him in pain. But flu is like heroin withdraws? And the prescription he gave is enough for 118 doses. I to.d him DD is getting sick now, maybe he is giving me enough for her too? I mentioned that I should probably make her an appointment now too, and he said I can try the Vicodin for her. Which is weird too. Docs don't usually do that.

He was super nice and gave me his cell number, asking me to call and let him know how he is doing tomorrow. 

Quoting Anonymous:

i would give it just enough to releive the pain so the child can sleep...if he seems miserable without his next dose, then give it to him...you're not doing him any favors keeping him in pain.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM

yeah, vicodin withdrawal on an adult is no picnic, i can't imagine how it would be for a toddler

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM
3 moms liked this

obvisously your dr is a narcotic pusher...ask him about NON narcotic pain relievers that do not cause withdrawals..

Quoting Djinn83:

The last thing I want to do is keep him in pain. But flu is like heroin withdraws? And the prescription he gave is enough for 118 doses. I to.d him DD is getting sick now, maybe he is giving me enough for her too? I mentioned that I should probably make her an appointment now too, and he said I can try the Vicodin for her. Which is weird too. Docs don't usually do that.

He was super nice and gave me his cell number, asking me to call and let him know how he is doing tomorrow. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN