Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mamas with Hypothyroidism

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Okay, I was in a hospital in December for heart palpitations and while they were trying to find the cause, they tested my thyroid. (Because hyperthyroidism can cause it. I ended up with tachycardia) My TSH (I think thats what it is) level was 6.8. My general doctor is now sending me to an endocrinologist. I have a few questions

1) What will the endocrinologist do? What tests will he/she run?
2) How long after starting the medicine did you notice a difference?
3) Have you lost any weight while on it?

TY in advance :)
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
edelweiss23
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM
My daughter has hypothyroid.

They do a physical exam as well as blood work. It takes about 4-6 weeks for her to notice a change when they tweak her meds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Thanks!

Quoting edelweiss23:

My daughter has hypothyroid.

They do a physical exam as well as blood work. It takes about 4-6 weeks for her to notice a change when they tweak her meds.

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Hi
I have Hypo..
1) they will take a history and blood work to find your hormone levels
2) it can take up to 6 weeks before  you see a difference in you levels. It will take some time, with tweaking, to bring you up to the levels you need

3) I found by the 6th week that my weight began to steadily drop.

Other info: When my levels are dropping, i gain weight, chronic fatigue, hair thinning, dry skin, palpitations, dry/sore throat/hisly voice etc kick start all over again.

For further reference, if having CT/MRI with Contrast, please make sure the radiologist is aware that you have Thyroid issues. I hadn't a clue about this problem until this year when I was given 2 batches of Iodine that fried my thyroid completely resulting in a Thyroid storm.

You will be in medication for the rest of your life and it is easily managed if you take your medication everyday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Thank you! I have noticed all of those symptoms. (Dry skin and inability to lose weight have been the most noticeable.) I just kind of brushed them off.

Quoting WarriorMum:

Hi
I have Hypo..
2) it can take up to 6 weeks before  you see a difference in you levels. It will take some time, with tweaking, to bring you up to the levels you need

Other info: When my levels are dropping, i gain weight, chronic fatigue, hair thinning, dry skin, palpitations, dry/sore throat/hisly voice etc kick start all over again.

For further reference, if having CT/MRI with Contrast, please make sure the radiologist is aware that you have Thyroid issues. I hadn't a clue about this problem until this year when I was given 2 batches of Iodine that fried my thyroid completely resulting in a Thyroid storm.

You will be in medication for the rest of your life and it is easily managed if you take your medication everyday.

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! I have noticed all of those symptoms. (Dry skin and inability to lose weight have been the most noticeable.) I just kind of brushed them off.

Quoting WarriorMum:

Hi
I have Hypo..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I have the opposite. Mines hyperactive. The only meds I take are for high blood pressure. When mines started acting up I weighted 170 and lost 50 pounds in just under a year from it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)