Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you sell drugs to sruvive?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 148 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hypothetical question: - This is meant for a what would you do/have you done - Please be respectful of each other. We are adults, lets act like them and no bashing or attacking other posters. Thank you! Anon is welcome.

You are either pregnant or have small children and both Dh & you just lost your jobs. You have been looking but with today's job market, you haven't found anything as of yet. You just got hit with a warrant for removal (not an eviction, a warrant gives you 3 days to vacate - you can get an extension up to 7days). You went to welfare and even though they are expediting emergency assistance, it will still take a minimum of 2 weeks to process. And in order to get rent assistance you need to have your cash assistance first. You have checked all other charities like Red Cross & Christian Services as well as local churches, and no one has any funds. You have no food, the lights are about to get cut off and neither of you have any family to help out. Things are getting down to the wire, you need diapers, you are about to be on the street with nothing. Its winter and the homeless shelter said that they cant place you for a week due to over crowding. All of your friends are either unwilling or in no position to help, except for one friend.

This friend doesn't have any $ to help you out with, but offers you a clip ($100 worth or 5 -$20's) of crack and says you do not have to pay him back, just make your money. You know that one night out in the back alleys you can triple the $100 you made.

Would you take the drugs to sell? Or face the enevitable; on the street, no food, no money, nothing but the clothes on your back?

Just curious as to what others would or have done.

Anon is welcome.

My opinion and experience:

Yes. And we have done so many years ago. When I was pregnant, we fell on some very hard times. No one would hire me because I was so pregnant. Dh lost his job and did not qualify for unemployment because it was off the books. We defaulted on 1 month of rent and the landlord filed a warrant. We went to court to fight it, but only got an extension for 7days rather then 3 days to lock out. We had no family, nothing. Welfare gave us emergency assistance, but even though they expedited it, we still had to wait 2 weeks and we were only going to receive $140.00 in food & $130.00 in cash assistance. We called the homeless prevention hot line which put us in touch with local charities. None of which had any funds. We called back and tried to get placed into a shelter. It was winter and there was a waiting list. We had no one to call, no where to go and I was due any day. We had this one friend, who made his money selling drugs (hey to each their own I don't judge) and he didn't have money to spare but he said that he would "put dh on his feet". He gave us $100 of crack to sell and said we didn't have to pay him back. Living in a area where we knew we would have no problems getting rid of it, we took the offer. Dh would sit out all night for the next 3 days and in the end we ended up with about $1500.00 which we used to rent a room ($200/week) and paid it up for a month and used the rest to buy a mini fridge, food & a hot plate for the room-while we were waiting for the help from welfare. Once we received our benefits we were able to apply for emergency rental assistance - where they paid 1st months rent and security for a 1bd apartment up to $900 (we live in a high cost area. Finding a 1bed that was $900 was almost impossible) and the rest would be subsidized enough to cover with the cash assistance - we also received an increase of assistance about $300 for both fs & cash. Dh was to participate in a work program, which he did no problem. He received his GED and got to take a trade course for fork lift certification which welfare paid for. He did and passed and was able to get work. All in all with the school and getting placed it took about 4 mos. The kept us on the rent assistance for the whole year and we were able to get everything we needed for baby (slowly but surely). Dh still works at this company.

As far as the selling drugs, once we got things going finally with welfare, Dh paid his friend the original $100.00 (even though he didn't ask for it. We were grateful) and never looked back. We never had a need to do this again. Its been 6 years since we went through this hardship. Ds is in school, I work, Dh works and we will be purchasing our first home at the end of this year with our hard earned money. While I am not proud that we had to resort to being temporary drug dealers, I am proud that we were able to overcome such a hardship and come out on top.

If it really came down to it and you had NO options. Would you/Have you/Could you do the same?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Hubby and I actually just had this hypothetical discussion the other day.

He said yes but only weed.
I said no to all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SLGross215
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I would never do anything illegal to "survive". There are always options out there that are far better then possibly going to jail and having your children taken from you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
We got to that point once. My SO started growing medical mj, but he sells it legally. I wouldn't want him to do anything illegal
kattu
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
If it meant survival for my family, absolutely. How is that worse than putting my child on the street?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I would.

Photo: -Randi.Photo

Pink.Sunshine
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I would never do anything illegal. I can sing, worse come to worse I could probably pull $100 weekly singing in the subway station. I bet I could

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I sell it online sometimes in CM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Did you not read the entire post? She explained how some of those options just don't work out.

Quoting SLGross215:

I would never do anything illegal to "survive". There are always options out there that are far better then possibly going to jail and having your children taken from you.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd have to be very VERY VERY very desperate before I'd even consider.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Not only would I, I have
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)