Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why does no one see an issue with... the 23

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 291 Replies
7 moms liked this

Your private medical records being put on your background checks? Do you not see where that is an issue that goes well beyond anything to even do with drugs? Do you not see where people are less likely to get help for mental illnesses if it would become open record to anyone running a background check? Do you not see the impact that would have on some people? And define mental health. Would it just be psych records (yes that'll make someone get help that will prevent them from becoming a killer...) because there are known MEDICAL conditions that cause a lack of impulse control and violent outbursts. Not to even mention that the people who would be flagged because of their medical records are the ones least likely to snap because they are getting help. This isnt about "he is only trying to control guns...". Remember when you get denied a job because your medical records are on background checks and you once had some situational anxiety (because gun AND those with mental illness are now being deamonized), that this was put in place to protect kids.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a problem with tree all of them not just 23.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
6 moms liked this

???? 

Health records are protected under the provisions of HIPPA.  You would have to sign a wavier for a third party to have access to them.  Meaning if you don't want anybody to have access, then don't sign the waiver.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
5 moms liked this

because I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide.  And, yes, I've sought help for mental illness (depression).  But guns plus certain mentall illnesses are a disaster waiting to happen.  So I'd never have a gun in my home, regardless of the fact that DH, in law enforcement and former military, is licensed to own.

If you don't want your medical records as part of the background checks (which, by the way, remain closed to those who "need to know"), don't try to own a gun.  Background checks are a reasonable accomodation that the SC has already upheld.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

They are seriously considering putting our medical records out there for people to see?? What happened to privacy?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Have you heard of the executive order the President signed yesterday? You might want to check into it. That is what OP is referring to.

Quoting Anonymous:

???? 

Health records are protected under the provisions of HIPPA.  You would have to sign a wavier for a third party to have access to them.  Meaning if you don't want anybody to have access, then don't sign the waiver.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

What about if you are trying to get a job? Most employers do perform background checks... 

Quoting Anonymous:

because I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide.  And, yes, I've sought help for mental illness (depression).  But guns plus certain mentall illnesses are a disaster waiting to happen.  So I'd never have a gun in my home, regardless of the fact that DH, in law enforcement and former military, is licensed to own.

If you don't want your medical records as part of the background checks (which, by the way, remain closed to those who "need to know"), don't try to own a gun.  Background checks are a reasonable accomodation that the SC has already upheld.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I do believe those executive orders still have to have congressional approval.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you heard of the executive order the President signed yesterday? You might want to check into it. That is what OP is referring to.

Quoting Anonymous:

???? 

Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

For me personally, I have no problem with my medical records being a part of a background check.

While I appreciate the need for privacy, I am not really sure why this would be an issue?

What should be included/excluded on a background check?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

What about if you are trying to get a job? Most employers do perform background checks... 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand the question.  Medical records are only sought if relevant to the job.  And when they are, they are protected by privacy laws. 

ElitestJen
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

???? 

That's one of the executive orders.  It bypasses HIPAA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)