Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woke up in a piss poor mood...how do you usually put your moods aside for your kids?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

I normally just bite my lip and not say anything. It's not my kids fault I'm in a bad mood, but this morning I feel especially irritated. My DH got up with SD, he's getting ready for work while she gets ready for school. So even though he's up and awake SD (who is 9) has to come into my bedroom to ask me EVERYTHING. Her little sisters woke up, they are 3, 2, and 1. She came in to ask if they're allowed out of room. Gee...I'm not usually in the habit of keeping them locked in their room after they wake up, but maybe I'll change things up today? Then my 3 year old couldn't unzip her pajamas fast enough and peed in them, so my 9 year old comes in and says "Meghan peed all over herself." I told her I'd be right there and she says "I don't know where to find her underwear." SD has been helping me with laundry for ages, she has helped me get her sisters dressed, too...how is it she can't open drawers on ONE dresser and find underwear???? So I told her again I'd be there in just a minute and she goes "But I don't know what to do." I told her not to worry about it, that I'd be there as I'm getting out of bed and putting on my glasses. Then NO one seems to understand we have a pantry and that's where we keep all our breakfast stuff...cereal, oatmeal, cream of wheat, pop tarts. So surprise surprise my SD can't find anything to eat for breakfast. Does she ask my husband? Nope! I'm cleaning up my three year old and she comes in to say "There's nothing to eat..."

REALLY???? I just went shopping! So she goes and stares in the pantry some more and declares she won't eat any of that because none of it sounds good. Sorry! I don't have time to cook so eat some cereal. This starts a whole different war.

DH and SD just left, he takes her to school before work, so here I am still just irritated. I'm trying to just let it go like I normally do when we don't have a smooth morning, but my normal tactics aren't working. I think I'll just go jump into cleaning. How do you usually get out of a bad mood? Would you have been irritated too if your kids had ignored dad and had to ask you everything? He's a very competent father...I don't get why SD bypasses him and has to seek me out (even when I'm in the shower) to ask a question!

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Has he proven his incompetence too many times for her to believe he migth know the answer?  lol

Try to do something to burn off that steam, like active play chasing the kiddos around the house?  

adhaodd1child
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I turn the music on and clean.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Sounds like she prefers you. IMO that's a good thing with a step kid.
renner450
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I always did that to my mom and she would say go ask your dad.
Susy17A
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I play music really loud and dance with my kids dance like crazy my son is 3 and my daughter is 1 they love dancing and i just laugh when my son has a new dance.
ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL  I usually wake up in a pleasant mood.  Then my kids ruin it.  With the type of stuff you've outlined above. 

MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

No, he's not incompetent. He definitely could have answered her questions and helped with the potty accident and would have been willing to, at that. I think it's mostly that if I'm not busy his general answer is "Go ask mom" so now she just does it without being told.

He's a good dad and knows how to do all these things without me telling him what to do, but I guess to be fair he's only been home in the mornings lately for about the last three weeks, normally I am the one who is up and helping the kids and getting everyone ready and then I drive SD to school. He's been on light duty at work so instead of going in at like 3 or 4AM he's now getting to go in at 8AM everyday and can drop her off. Maybe she's just not used to having him there in the morning.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Has he proven his incompetence too many times for her to believe he migth know the answer?  lol

Try to do something to burn off that steam, like active play chasing the kiddos around the house?  

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I would guess that is it.  Try talking to him about what you feel would benefit everybody in the mornings.  Since he is home and it is fairly new, talk about the routines in the morning and work out which parent is going to be in charge of what task.  (My DH plays up the incompetence factor when he doesn't want to do something.  lol)

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

No, he's not incompetent. He definitely could have answered her questions and helped with the potty accident and would have been willing to, at that. I think it's mostly that if I'm not busy his general answer is "Go ask mom" so now she just does it without being told.

He's a good dad and knows how to do all these things without me telling him what to do, but I guess to be fair he's only been home in the mornings lately for about the last three weeks, normally I am the one who is up and helping the kids and getting everyone ready and then I drive SD to school. He's been on light duty at work so instead of going in at like 3 or 4AM he's now getting to go in at 8AM everyday and can drop her off. Maybe she's just not used to having him there in the morning.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured