Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Name one thing you wish your parents did for you as a child

Posted by   + Show Post
It could be anything, playing, trips to the zoo,
Just name one thing u wish they had done with you.

For me. I wish my mom hugged me. The closest contact we had was when she would do my hair.

now urs...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (121-130):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I wish my dad wasn't so verbally abusive.  He also just didn't let me feel like my opinion mattered, I didn't have a "voice", wasn't allowed to date, get a job, etc etc.  He made me live under a rock, I was a very deprived child and adolescent.  

My mom was awesome though, wouldn't change anything with her.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM
My mom, hadn't chosen her husband over us kids.
My dad, hadn't chosen his 2nd AND 3rd wives over us kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

why would you get school credit for that?

I dont go to school functions.  They arent necessary.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Went to school functions.  I would attend my orientation days solo.  They never went to concerts, plays, or anything.  I even did parent teacher conferences alone.  I'd show up wearing my nicest clothes and a string of pearls because I thought it made me look mature.  But the teachers were always upset my parents wouldn't come.

I remember one teacher, Mr. W, looked up over a sheet of paper, saw me sitting there alone (this was in HS by now) and asked "Do you HAVE parents?  Do they love you?"

In all honesty, he was concerned.  I worked 3 jobs, went to school, and managed to do well.  But the school started to think I didn't even HAVE parents or that I was abused or neglected.

The following year, my boss at the Chinese place I worked at took legal Guardianship of me.  When he showed up to parent teacher conferences, they thought I had hired some random Chinese man to be my father so I could get the extra credit!  At least he showed some pride in me, called me his daughter, bought me prom dresses, and actually took care of me.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Schools did call, my parents had caller ID.  They just couldn't be bothered.  I was the third of five children.  The older two acted up a lot, the younger two were very young and needy.  Squeaky wheel and all.

They had no real option with the guardianship.  My Dad went away on business, my stepmom kicked me out for the week he was gone.  For no apparent reason, in the middle of winter.  I went to work that night and had no home to return to.  I didn't want to go to foster care or shelters, it would hurt my overall goals to have to switch schools or go int the system like that.  My boss, his words "I can't berieve they ret a perfectry good girr go to waste!"  Like I was tossed out garbage.  He got me in a hotel and gave me 3 meals a day.

He met my Dad at the airport with the paperwork.  He told my Dad if he didn't sign me off, he would prove to CPS I had been kicked out at age 16 and was living like that for a whole week and he'd lose ALL his kids.  So, Dad signed me off.

Him and stepmom eventually divorced.  Dad and I are OK, I never talk to my Mom.  Hadn't heard from her in years by the time I hit HS anyways.  My old boss is still an active part of my life, still calls me daughter.  If I am ever in town, I can get 3 meals a day from his place.

Quoting Kaybean:

Wow, I'm sorry. Why didn't the schools ever call your parents and tell them they had to come in? They just like let someone take guardianship of you like that?

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Went to school functions.  I would attend my orientation days solo.  They never went to concerts, plays, or anything.  I even did parent teacher conferences alone.  I'd show up wearing my nicest clothes and a string of pearls because I thought it made me look mature.  But the teachers were always upset my parents wouldn't come.

I remember one teacher, Mr. W, looked up over a sheet of paper, saw me sitting there alone (this was in HS by now) and asked "Do you HAVE parents?  Do they love you?"

In all honesty, he was concerned.  I worked 3 jobs, went to school, and managed to do well.  But the school started to think I didn't even HAVE parents or that I was abused or neglected.

The following year, my boss at the Chinese place I worked at took legal Guardianship of me.  When he showed up to parent teacher conferences, they thought I had hired some random Chinese man to be my father so I could get the extra credit!  At least he showed some pride in me, called me his daughter, bought me prom dresses, and actually took care of me.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM

The teachers offered extra credit if your parents came to conferences.  Not school credit, extra credit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
They were both awesome I just wish they had taught us better eating habits. (I blame the 80s lol). It took me til 25 to get my weight under control.
o.0
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

i wish they would have taught me how to budget and be smart with money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM

that seems unfair and unlikely sorry.  

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

The teachers offered extra credit if your parents came to conferences.  Not school credit, extra credit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

blazenangel5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Showed me she cared. Hug me. Make any memories or traditions with me. No trips to the zoo, no picnics, no parks, she didn't come to most my school programs, no neat traditions. She wasn't involved at all. She was just kind of there. We don't talk anymore.
KG34
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I wish they would have let me do more things. When I wanted to take gymnastics my mom said it was too dangerous. When I wanted to play softball she said no, but didn't really give a reason. When I wanted to take dance lessons, she said she would sign me up for my birthday and then never did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)