Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no bottles at doctor

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids were 5months and 18months, I took them to a pediatrician with a no food or drink allowed policy what-so-ever. Not in the waiting room. Not in the exam room. Reason given was "it's a pediatrican's office, some kids have FOOD ALLERGIES"

That ALSO meant my 18m/o couldn't drink his sippy cup, and 5m/o couldn't drink his bottle of formula. I got scolded for giving an INFANT his bottle. But guess what? Breast feeding is protected by law so THOSE infants could eat while they were there. Thoughts on this? Anyone?

Oh I never took my kids to that doctor again and it was the only time they ever went to this practice.  :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (101-110):
LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Wow!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

THIS.... 

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

I would have walked out and not wasted anymore of my time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I don't understand that policy. Kids are always hungry especially my kids. I always carry snacks for them. They are 4 and 7. This is also posted in the pediatrician's office but I don't follow it. They can kiss my ass. If your child has an allergy then you should teach them not to ask people for their food. I rather feed my kids than hear them whine.
lazydayz
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

considering that dr appts are not a speedy thing, how could they say no baby bottles? what dr would ever recommend to deprive a baby of nutrition? but i agree with you about older kids unless they have a sippy cup that doesnt spill. my daughter also has to drink about 80 ounces a day or she cannot digest... so I dare a dr to tell me I cannot give her some juice... well, I just wouldnt go back!

Quoting Alyia72:

If that's the case then my pediatricians office broke the law several times they even helped us feed our triplets several times.  I guess we were just special lol.. that and my BIL is a nurse there.  I wouldn't go to a pediatrician with such a dumb rule for an infant I can see saying no food or drink for older kids but an infant needs to eat every so many hrs our girls HAD to be fed every two hrs at first even at night we had to wake them because they were premature and the NICU had them on a schedule.  But they always did all three in the same visit and it took like three hrs they had to eat towards the end of the appointment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, that is NOT the reason... it is an OSHA law that no food or drinks are allowed in Dr offices. Most only enforce it in the exam rooms though.

Quoting jillbailey26:

They don't want kids eating before their appointment.  Part of the check up is them looking at their teeth, mouth, and throat.  Some kids gag.  If they've just been given something to eat, they could throw up all over the place.  

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

My kids where never snackers but when they where babies when they wanted fed they where not waiting for anything.  I guess I would have found a different Dr.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM
And I can guarantee that nobodys children could get my kids bottle.

I can't feed my infant,neither can you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I guarantee no other child is getting my breast milk. The same cant be said about bottles and such. I've seen kids try to use other kids bottles and cups.

Your kid didn't need juice

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM

There is also the matter of germs. As your kid is throwing their bottle all over the floor in a place that sick people come, and then picking it up and popping it in their mouth while you sit and play on your phone, they are picking up those germs.

I can also guarantee that my breast isn't falling on the floor.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I guarantee no other child is getting my breast milk. The same cant be said about bottles and such. I've seen kids try to use other kids bottles and cups.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
So equality in regards to feeding infants only applies to breast feeding moms?

Also where are these children just tossing bottles all over the place? I have a 9 amd 2yr old and last time I checked they don't throw their things on the floor.

Like I said, my baby can't eat well then yours can wait as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is also the matter of germs. As your kid is throwing their bottle all over the floor in a place that sick people come, and then picking it up and popping it in their mouth while you sit and play on your phone, they are picking up those germs.

I can also guarantee that my breast isn't falling on the floor.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

horseap
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

A breast wont drop and spill everywhere for them to clean up.  Maybe that was the only excuse they could come up with because they were tired of cleaning up after people kids.  =/ 

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM
This. I have been to several pedis till we found the one we liked and none had that rule.

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

I would have walked out and not wasted anymore of my time

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN