Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no bottles at doctor

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids were 5months and 18months, I took them to a pediatrician with a no food or drink allowed policy what-so-ever. Not in the waiting room. Not in the exam room. Reason given was "it's a pediatrican's office, some kids have FOOD ALLERGIES"

That ALSO meant my 18m/o couldn't drink his sippy cup, and 5m/o couldn't drink his bottle of formula. I got scolded for giving an INFANT his bottle. But guess what? Breast feeding is protected by law so THOSE infants could eat while they were there. Thoughts on this? Anyone?

Oh I never took my kids to that doctor again and it was the only time they ever went to this practice.  :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (111-120):
Youngmother456
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM
This is just my kid and how we do it but he is 17 months and never ate or drank in the doctors office. I don't like breastfeeding in public (I do it in the car) and I don't give him snacks because I don't want there to be any mess and it just never occurred to me to bring his cup in.

He is a very fussy baby but so far I have been lucky in the doctors office and waiting room.

Quoting Anonymous:

At that young of an age kids are always drinking a bottle or eating. My older one is now 2 and is CONSTANTLY drinking out of his sippy cup when he's not eating.

Quoting katie2007709:

so feed them before u go and after the apt

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand that policy. Kids are always hungry especially my kids. I always carry snacks for them. They are 4 and 7. This is also posted in the pediatrician's office but I don't follow it. They can kiss my ass. If your child has an allergy then you should teach them not to ask people for their food. I rather feed my kids than hear them whine.

Wow!!      That is incredible.    You must be kidding!

:-o

Youngmother456
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
What if this doctor has one or several paitents who have a severe peanut allergy where just the dust could kill them?
I do not understand the drink ban but I can see how a doctor could ban snacks. Especially if he knows he has patients with severe allergies. The doctor may ban all snacks just to be cautious or even to cover his ass in a lawsuit.

I do not understand people who think like you. A child could listen to his parents and not ask for food but he still could die from the exposure. I hope you bring 100% peanut free snacks only and are not so selfish that you would rather risk a kids life so you don't have to hear your kid complain.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand that policy. Kids are always hungry especially my kids. I always carry snacks for them. They are 4 and 7. This is also posted in the pediatrician's office but I don't follow it. They can kiss my ass. If your child has an allergy then you should teach them not to ask people for their food. I rather feed my kids than hear them whine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Youngmother456
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM
OP they know their patients its not like they are saying "a kid MAY have an allergy" they probably know a kid or several kids with a severe allergy.

That being said I don't understand why formula it a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:41 AM
My kids do not eat peanuts. So yes, the snacks are peanut free.

Quoting Youngmother456:

What if this doctor has one or several paitents who have a severe peanut allergy where just the dust could kill them?
I do not understand the drink ban but I can see how a doctor could ban snacks. Especially if he knows he has patients with severe allergies. The doctor may ban all snacks just to be cautious or even to cover his ass in a lawsuit.

I do not understand people who think like you. A child could listen to his parents and not ask for food but he still could die from the exposure. I hope you bring 100% peanut free snacks only and are not so selfish that you would rather risk a kids life so you don't have to hear your kid complain.

Quoting Anonymous:

TAG_ur_it
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:50 AM

i think it's stupid for children under 2 because a lot of dr's offices make you wait for freakin ever.  our pediatrician is walk in only unless it's for a physical.  they don't start seeing people until 3pm and it's  first come first serve.  you can come in at noon to get first in line, but you still have to wait 3 hours IF he even shows up on time. i've been first in line and watched him walk through the door at 3:45 and didn't get called until 4:30.  so minimum 1 1/2 hours.  that day i waited 3 hours before getting called back. another 20minutes before he graced us with his presence.  only to be shipped back out in 5 minutes.   if i hadn't really needed my kid seen, i would have left.  but i can't imagine doing all that with a baby and not being able to feed  it. fucking ridiculous. the point is, you never know how long your wait time is going to be. you can't not feed a baby for an indefinite time. 

jedwards2009
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Yea that's dumb.. I wouldn't go there anymore!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Byrd15
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Um fuck that shit!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LisaSmock
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Agree. Who tells people to not feed a baby

Quoting amberandmonker:

seems like bullshit to me. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:14 AM

You should have reported the doctor.  I would have filed a complaint against him in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care if it was a clinic or his own personal office, he has no right to tell any parent they cannot feed a hungry baby a bottle of formula, or deny a small child a drink from a sippy cup. Seriously, what if the bottle contained pumped breast milk, would the doctor say no to that as well?

You shouldn't have let it pass because in doing so, it  lets the doctor continue with his, you can do this, but you cannot do that, bullshit with no consequences.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured