Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no bottles at doctor

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids were 5months and 18months, I took them to a pediatrician with a no food or drink allowed policy what-so-ever. Not in the waiting room. Not in the exam room. Reason given was "it's a pediatrican's office, some kids have FOOD ALLERGIES"

That ALSO meant my 18m/o couldn't drink his sippy cup, and 5m/o couldn't drink his bottle of formula. I got scolded for giving an INFANT his bottle. But guess what? Breast feeding is protected by law so THOSE infants could eat while they were there. Thoughts on this? Anyone?

Oh I never took my kids to that doctor again and it was the only time they ever went to this practice.  :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Right. Cause breastfeed babies can't throw up. Lol

Quoting jillbailey26:

They don't want kids eating before their appointment.  Part of the check up is them looking at their teeth, mouth, and throat.  Some kids gag.  If they've just been given something to eat, they could throw up all over the place.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I would have told them to suck my toe.

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I would have said "Here is 20$ can I please have our records? thanks"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
No we never allowed our kids to carry sippy cups around . They were given drinks at meals and snacks. If at home they had a cup of water sitting at the table but out in public they had to wait.

Quoting Anonymous:

At that young of an age kids are always drinking a bottle or eating. My older one is now 2 and is CONSTANTLY drinking out of his sippy cup when he's not eating.

Quoting katie2007709:

so feed them before u go and after the apt

.Funfetti.
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

WTF? That's ridiculous, I would have never gone back and most likely written a review on all the sites I saw their clinic in. I'm a little nuts like that. 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

*shrug* If your doctor does not like your decision as a parent (delay/no vax or the circ issue) he or she can drop you as a patient. If you do not like your doctor's policy, then find a new doctor (this one sounds like he/she has no common sense, anyway). 

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

They don't want kids eating before their appointment.  Part of the check up is them looking at their teeth, mouth, and throat.  Some kids gag.  If they've just been given something to eat, they could throw up all over the place.  

And if you have a newborn, they need to eat every couple of hours. Sitting that the doctors office waiting to be seen you could easily go over the 2 hour mark and have a crabby, screaming infant. If they don't want the risk of being thrown up on, they shouldn't be a ped. or ped nurse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Actually, that is NOT the reason... it is an OSHA law that no food or drinks are allowed in Dr offices. Most only enforce it in the exam rooms though.

Quoting jillbailey26:

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Maybe they're afraid to tell BF moms to not BF for fear of having some crazy psycho backlash, lol.  I don't know.  I've seen this at our doctors office and that's why.  They just don't want the kids to eat right before their appointments.  They didn't specify what, it went for everything.

Quoting paigesmommy5264:

But they can be breastfed??

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM
How does it feel to be told you can't feed your baby? Breastfeeders get it all the time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN