Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no bottles at doctor

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids were 5months and 18months, I took them to a pediatrician with a no food or drink allowed policy what-so-ever. Not in the waiting room. Not in the exam room. Reason given was "it's a pediatrican's office, some kids have FOOD ALLERGIES"

That ALSO meant my 18m/o couldn't drink his sippy cup, and 5m/o couldn't drink his bottle of formula. I got scolded for giving an INFANT his bottle. But guess what? Breast feeding is protected by law so THOSE infants could eat while they were there. Thoughts on this? Anyone?

Oh I never took my kids to that doctor again and it was the only time they ever went to this practice.  :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM
weird
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

That's why it was in ours.  Maybe it's a double meaning.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, that is NOT the reason... it is an OSHA law that no food or drinks are allowed in Dr offices. Most only enforce it in the exam rooms though.

Quoting jillbailey26:

They don't want kids eating before their appointment.  Part of the check up is them looking at their teeth, mouth, and throat.  Some kids gag.  If they've just been given something to eat, they could throw up all over the place.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

paknari
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I wouldnt have been stressed about it. I've never had to wait that long for an appt. but I wouldn't have breastfed in the waiting room either. I would be more worried about what germs are all in the waiting room than whether the bottle would poison someone. I don't even like bringing my purse in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this

theres little to no risk of another kid accidently sticking my boob in his mouth lol

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

not every person puts formula in the bottles though.. and they could have had an issue with that, and that is likely why they had the policy in place.. 

yes, they are a bit extreme about it.. I personally don't see any issues with someone feeding their 5 month old.. but then again, if one mom see's you feeding, she might whip out a bottle or sippy of something else and give it to their child, and so on.. 

Bottom line.. you know exactly what's in a boob, you can't tell 100% what's in a bottle/sippy.... and if they have a child or two, or a few, with sever allergies.. it can be understandable that they have such a policy.. 

I also wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to have to follow such restrictions and seeking care elsewhere. 

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Bingo.

I've never breastfed in a waiting room (I prefer privacy), but I've never been told I couldn't in an exam room and have actually been encouraged to nurse my infants when they are distressed at the appointment.

Quoting svolkov:

theres little to no risk of another kid accidently sticking my boob in his mouth lol

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

But they allow breastfeeding? If that was the reason they didnt allow food or bottles they wouldnt allow breastfeeding either

Quoting jillbailey26:

They don't want kids eating before their appointment.  Part of the check up is them looking at their teeth, mouth, and throat.  Some kids gag.  If they've just been given something to eat, they could throw up all over the place.  

428pm
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

kids drop sippys and spill all the time.  The formula is a bit over the top.  I would have judt gotten a new doc like you did

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Mine say that but usually say except bottles for infants. I've always ignored those and brought snacks for my son. No one dared say anything to me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM
That's another reason to breastfeed!

But really that rule is a bit silly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)