Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

no bottles at doctor

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When my kids were 5months and 18months, I took them to a pediatrician with a no food or drink allowed policy what-so-ever. Not in the waiting room. Not in the exam room. Reason given was "it's a pediatrican's office, some kids have FOOD ALLERGIES"

That ALSO meant my 18m/o couldn't drink his sippy cup, and 5m/o couldn't drink his bottle of formula. I got scolded for giving an INFANT his bottle. But guess what? Breast feeding is protected by law so THOSE infants could eat while they were there. Thoughts on this? Anyone?

Oh I never took my kids to that doctor again and it was the only time they ever went to this practice.  :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (91-100):
doulala
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

They don't choose to have that rule there.

Quoting Anonymous:

So why would they allow formula at the hospitals where all babies are born,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
So bottles are clearly the devil? I am not saying a child couldnt grab a bottle, but they could also grab anything else. Maybe my child shouldnt eat with a fork in public, because he may drop it and there could be an unattended child on the floor that grabs it....I am just wondering where their parents are and why a child is crawling on a doctors floor to begin with.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

I am not going to try to get you to understand. You have obviously never seen a baby throw a bottle and another one grab it and a mother grapple for a bottle. I had my son throw a sippy cup(son refused bottles) of expressed milk my MIL handed to him and his cousin picked it up and started sucking it down and I was literally a 5 second away grab but he had gulped it all down. I had to keep a very strict diet due to my son being lactose intolerant. That 3 oz out of 7oz he gulped down was a part of a meal for my 6 month old.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where are the parents during this bottle sharing epidemic? A toddler could just as easily crawl up my lap and suck my tit but it isnt going to stop be from breastfeeding lmao

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Five month olds throw stuff, you realize that? If you have a five month old who can support a bottle himself (i've seen it action with my friends baby, who also sits upright) and it lands on the ground and a crawler grabs it and shoves it in his mouth then there could be an issue. Also, with an older toddler who holds onto a cup and another child grabs a cup from the toddlers hand, which also include snacks. Crawlers and walkers can eat food off the floor. It doesn't matter how attentive you're being to the baby or child - accidents happen and other kids get of food their allergic to. The pediatrician is saving his ass by having that sign up. Denying a baby to feed either way is bad breastfeeding or formula feeding but the fact you should adhere by the pediatrician office rules. You don't like it? Find another pediatrician.

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Yep because us formula feeding moms go around shoving bottles of formula in babies mouths all willy nilly. Smdh.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Breastfeeding women (like myself) don't share with other kids unless asked by the mother. The rules are in place for a reason and if you don't like it, find another pediatrician!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I would have fed them before leaving home.  There should be a three to four hour gap between feedings even for the six month old. Obesity is a problem in this country, and kids eating three meals, three scheduled "snacks" of junk between meals and getting "treats" every time they whine is putting too much unnatural emphasis on oral gratification.

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Have you never been into a pediatricians office? there are toys there with books and parents do let their children play and explore with the toys. You obviously do NOT understand the reasoning behind this.

I highly doubt someone is going to let their children crawl around on a restaurant floor lol or better yet not use a fork because a kid on a restaurant floor is going to eat it. You're not that great at understanding the situation of the pediatrician has probably or known some other doctor has been in.

I never said the bottles are the devil, or formula feeding was wrong. I am just stating that accidents happen and they don't want those accidents to happen because they didn't put up a rule in the pediatricians office. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So bottles are clearly the devil? I am not saying a child couldnt grab a bottle, but they could also grab anything else. Maybe my child shouldnt eat with a fork in public, because he may drop it and there could be an unattended child on the floor that grabs it....I am just wondering where their parents are and why a child is crawling on a doctors floor to begin with.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

I am not going to try to get you to understand. You have obviously never seen a baby throw a bottle and another one grab it and a mother grapple for a bottle. I had my son throw a sippy cup(son refused bottles) of expressed milk my MIL handed to him and his cousin picked it up and started sucking it down and I was literally a 5 second away grab but he had gulped it all down. I had to keep a very strict diet due to my son being lactose intolerant. That 3 oz out of 7oz he gulped down was a part of a meal for my 6 month old.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where are the parents during this bottle sharing epidemic? A toddler could just as easily crawl up my lap and suck my tit but it isnt going to stop be from breastfeeding lmao

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Five month olds throw stuff, you realize that? If you have a five month old who can support a bottle himself (i've seen it action with my friends baby, who also sits upright) and it lands on the ground and a crawler grabs it and shoves it in his mouth then there could be an issue. Also, with an older toddler who holds onto a cup and another child grabs a cup from the toddlers hand, which also include snacks. Crawlers and walkers can eat food off the floor. It doesn't matter how attentive you're being to the baby or child - accidents happen and other kids get of food their allergic to. The pediatrician is saving his ass by having that sign up. Denying a baby to feed either way is bad breastfeeding or formula feeding but the fact you should adhere by the pediatrician office rules. You don't like it? Find another pediatrician.

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Yep because us formula feeding moms go around shoving bottles of formula in babies mouths all willy nilly. Smdh.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Breastfeeding women (like myself) don't share with other kids unless asked by the mother. The rules are in place for a reason and if you don't like it, find another pediatrician!

Pregnancy Ticker

eoewan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Unbelievable! I too would not have gone back. I love our pediatrician, she gives every patient an arrowroot cookie. My 10 month old loves her.

Alyia72
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM

If that's the case then my pediatricians office broke the law several times they even helped us feed our triplets several times.  I guess we were just special lol.. that and my BIL is a nurse there.  I wouldn't go to a pediatrician with such a dumb rule for an infant I can see saying no food or drink for older kids but an infant needs to eat every so many hrs our girls HAD to be fed every two hrs at first even at night we had to wake them because they were premature and the NICU had them on a schedule.  But they always did all three in the same visit and it took like three hrs they had to eat towards the end of the appointment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, that is NOT the reason... it is an OSHA law that no food or drinks are allowed in Dr offices. Most only enforce it in the exam rooms though.

Quoting jillbailey26:

They don't want kids eating before their appointment.  Part of the check up is them looking at their teeth, mouth, and throat.  Some kids gag.  If they've just been given something to eat, they could throw up all over the place.  

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM

You said your friends kid??? Are you even a mom? Do you have any real advice to go by ??

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM
From experience of waiting in a waiting room with my 10/11 month old for half an hour, there was no way to carry her and her diaper bag or sitting down she would have fits if I didn't let her get down. Yes I allowed her to walk around and sometimes she chose to crawl. It happens! Thankfully mine has no allergies and getting sick was rare for her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM

she breastfed so probably no bottles. her friends child was bottlefed. since shes talking about a baby *throwing a bottle she used her friends baby as an example.

Quoting Anonymous:

You said your friends kid??? Are you even a mom? Do you have any real advice to go by ??

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Actually, yes I do. I have a thre and a half year old in preschool who I breastfed for two years and pumped for 1 whole year for. So, yes..I actually do have real advice and real experiences to go by.  My son didn;t sit unsupported until nearing the middle of six months and he was breastfed so I have never seen him throw a botle of formula but I have seen him throw a sippy cup with expressed milk in it at 5 months old when my mother in law gave it to him because he wouldn't take a bottle.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN