Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

adhd and red dye40

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
Anyone have any experience with this? I've been told that cutting red dye especially red dye 40 can help a child with adhd, something with how their body processes it, red dye can exacerbate the symptoms.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

We don't eat it in this house. My husband has ADHD. I think in general his symptoms improved when we started cutting out processed stuff.

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I cut out 100% of red dye and it did not make a difference for DS.  However cutting out gluten has made a big difference.

1CrazyCajun
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I think it's different for each person. My mom was told not to give me red kool-aid, red weiners, candies, etc. It did help me, but I know several that it didn't help.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting not quite your style. Are you more laid back?Come join other like minded moms. No pi*sing matches here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I have never been diagnosed with ADHD but it's suspected. I have been diagnosed with bipolar though. I hate the way I feel when I've eaten red dye 40. It's true what they say. Not everyone reacts, but I do. It's in one of my favorite junk foods.

amandae21
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Cutting out gluten for ADHD?

We think my oldest has ADHD. My toddler's OT (for sensory processing disorder) said that it's something I should consider eliminating. My 9mo DS has severe eczema despite that I've eliminated dairy from my diet.

Quoting happykitty316:

I cut out 100% of red dye and it did not make a difference for DS.  However cutting out gluten has made a big difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to look into the gluten, ill try just about anything to see if it help her

Quoting happykitty316:

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Not that your child is a dog, but my dog had severe eczema and a grain free diet helped him tremendously.  Both of my children's behaviors have improved on the gluten free diet, but especially the ADHD child.  

Quoting amandae21:

Cutting out gluten for ADHD?

We think my oldest has ADHD. My toddler's OT (for sensory processing disorder) said that it's something I should consider eliminating. My 9mo DS has severe eczema despite that I've eliminated dairy from my diet.

Quoting happykitty316:

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM

cutting out red dye didn't help me :(

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Dyes don't affect DD, but she was diagnosed we only had a couple things in the house that contained that one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I wish I was more educated on this subject. I'd like to try both that and gluten free but I have to do more research. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN