Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can a baby be born addicted to...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Caffeine? Ok I drink like 8 cups of coffee and have like 4-5 sodas a day. Can a baby be born addicted to caffeine? What if you breastfeed and drink a bunch of caffeine? What if you formula feed would the baby go through withdraws like an adult would or would the baby not react the same? Just something that I was thinking about.
Has anyone had a miscarriage and contributed it to an excess in caffeine?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM
It makes sense that they would! Not only that but there are birth defects linked to caffeine. Drs always tell you to limit your intake! Why not wean off before taking that chance?
AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I drank pop allll day every day when I was pregnant and my son is completely fine. that's a lot of coffee though lmao

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wumbo
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM

That's too much caffeine for a person who isn't pregnant, let alone someone who is! They won't be addicted, per say, but they might have heart problems. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I drink soda all the time. I don't like anything else and my baby is just fine. :]
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting karraselle:

Dr. Pepper contains the least amount of caffeine out of all the caffeinated sodas.

Quoting Anonymous:

I drank Dr. Pepper all day, every day when I was pregnant. Both of my kids came out okay.

Actually Coca-Cola was the lowest I've seen. A can of coke is 34mg and Dr. Pepper is 41mg.

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Thats a bit much. Can you maybe try to switch to caffeine free pop and half caf coffee?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Limit to two cups of coffee a day, try drinking decaf if it is hard. You can have complications and yes the baby can be born addicted... that is entirely way to much coffee even for an adult. Think about your poor baby's little heart, it can't handle that much caffeine. Also, I should add that I had to quit drinking coffee all together while nursing because my DD was sensitive to it.

Casperstalks
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

The only thing my mom craved when she was pregnant with me is coffee.. guess who loves coffee? Yup. Me. From the time I was 2 I was sneaking her coffee... Now I just go get my own. xD

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Yes they can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured