Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

when do you take them to the doctor for a fever? it spiked again

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
How many days am I supposed to wait for a fever to break?

My 3 year old has had a fever since Monday (4days) on Monday it was 103.0, Tuesday it started at 99.5 and went up to 101.5, on Wednesday it started at 99 and went up to 101.3, and today it started at 99.3 and is now at 101.3. He has a cough a runny nose, and is really tired.

When I gave him meds on Monday for the 103 fever it only went down to 100, it never got lower than that, and it doesn't seem to be going away

I just checked his temp again and its now up to 102.2, just waiting on my husband to take him in, so he can watch the other kids
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I haven't been medicating except the first day, because I want it to break by itself, but how much more can I just let this go on?
ittybit2012
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I usually do if the fever hasn't broke in 24 hours and they are very lethargic.  Mine can run fevers and still be bouncing off the walls.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

If it goes over 101.5 they're in the doctors office. I can usually tell when its just a virus or something that needs an antibiotic. I would have rushed him in if it were me on Monday.

Katt709
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
For that low of a fever I'd keep him home and push fluids and rest. If you are concerned just call and talk to the nurse at your doctors office.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If it's been that long, take him in as soon as possible.

cLanief
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Does it go down with meds? If it's up and it's not really being helped by Tylenol and/or Motrin then you should call for an appointment.. just in case
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM
On Monday when I gave him advil for it it went down to 100, but not lower than that.

Quoting cLanief:

Does it go down with meds? If it's up and it's not really being helped by Tylenol and/or Motrin then you should call for an appointment.. just in case
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I will probably take him to urgent care tonight, I just don't want to feel like a basket case because I took him in, kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

enloemom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Same symptoms of my 8yr old and he tested positive for type a flu
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I would never feel that way. The health of my chidlren is more important. I can't tell you how many times we've taken them and the result is "just a virus, it'll run it's course, there's nothing we can do". You're better off being safe than sorry.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will probably take him to urgent care tonight, I just don't want to feel like a basket case because I took him in, kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN