Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

got some bad news today..i have cervical cancer *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

I just didn't think in a million years i would ever hear those words. I have cervical cancer in the inside of the cervix. so far they think its in one spot so, surgery is next friday..

funny how things can change so fast..one abnormal pap and this...

*edit*

i have 3 teenage kids  12,15 and 16..i dont know how to tell them

they been through so much in the past year and a half..they dad and i divorced after 17 years, they moved to a whole new state with me, then i gave their dad custody in early Dec., their paternal grandma died in sept '11, their dad is now getting remarried.

i just dont want to put them through more!

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Replies (101-109):
MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

The good news is it sounds like they caught it early enough that the surgery is all you need. I'm sorry, I know first hand how scary this is, especially when you have children. I had my first abnormal pap smear while I was pregnant with my first daughter. The colposcopy showed minor dysplasia, after my daughter was born I had another pap smear and the dysplasia had spread but still wasn't bad. Then I got pregnant again before my next pap smear, so mid-way through that pregnancy we did another pap smear and it came back abnormal again, did the colpos, then after my second daughter was born I had yet another colposcopy and it came back with severe dysplasia, so we decided to do a LEEP procedure and remove a third of my cervix, they sent the removed cervix piece to the lab and it came back positive for cancer. So I had a second LEEP procedure done that removed just another thin layer and all signs of cancerous cells disappeared. I've had clean pap smears since.

So, let's hope that's all it will take with you! Are you having a LEEP or full hysterectomy and cervical surgery? I'll pray for you, hon! As for telling your kids, be honest that you have some medical issues and that there is a plan in place to start treating it. Be upbeat and positive about it. The better your outlook on things, the easier this will be for them.

beingme75
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

a friend said she had the LEEP also. my doc said something about a cone..they take a chunk out that will be in the shape of an ice cream cone ..my cancer is inside, not on the surface at all

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

The good news is it sounds like they caught it early enough that the surgery is all you need. I'm sorry, I know first hand how scary this is, especially when you have children. I had my first abnormal pap smear while I was pregnant with my first daughter. The colposcopy showed minor dysplasia, after my daughter was born I had another pap smear and the dysplasia had spread but still wasn't bad. Then I got pregnant again before my next pap smear, so mid-way through that pregnancy we did another pap smear and it came back abnormal again, did the colpos, then after my second daughter was born I had yet another colposcopy and it came back with severe dysplasia, so we decided to do a LEEP procedure and remove a third of my cervix, they sent the removed cervix piece to the lab and it came back positive for cancer. So I had a second LEEP procedure done that removed just another thin layer and all signs of cancerous cells disappeared. I've had clean pap smears since.

So, let's hope that's all it will take with you! Are you having a LEEP or full hysterectomy and cervical surgery? I'll pray for you, hon! As for telling your kids, be honest that you have some medical issues and that there is a plan in place to start treating it. Be upbeat and positive about it. The better your outlook on things, the easier this will be for them.

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Am so sorry to hear this mama. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Please keep us updated. Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry :(

I pray for a very fast speedy recovery and full health!

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama... may I light a candle for you? 

MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Cone is similar to LEEP, but it focuses on going deep and staying central. Basically from biopsies they've determined your cancer is centrally located and not along the edges or surface of the cervix. Nothing wrong with that. My worry with cone is that they can miss some (though they'll test and be able to tell right away if they did).

However, the fact that your starting with just the cervix is great news. It'll allow the doctor to tell how deep the cancer is and if further treatment is needed. Luckily, it sounds like you've caught this early on and it's truly one of the easiest cancers to treat if caught early.

Quoting beingme75:

a friend said she had the LEEP also. my doc said something about a cone..they take a chunk out that will be in the shape of an ice cream cone ..my cancer is inside, not on the surface at all

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

tossed
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sooooo sorry. It sounds like it was caught really early. Just tell them. I would call their dad first and tell him so that he can help with telling them. Good luck and I pray things settle down for you. 

Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

so sorry

KeriAZ
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM
You are welcome! Never give up the fight!

Quoting beingme75:

thank u so much :)

Quoting KeriAZ:

Just take ur time in telling ur kids. Don't give false hope but u are gonna fight for ur life. If u want to chat I'm here. Tho my cancer was different then urs its still cancer.

Quoting beingme75:

he didnt say anything about that yet so idk whats going to happen..im just nervous. i see my kids tomorrow so i will tell them then

Quoting KeriAZ:

I am a 2 x cancer survivor. Its not easy but y di what u have to do to be there for ur kids. Yes they may be scared but they are tough. I have two teens who have been with me thru it and they are good. Just prepare itself for whatever comes with this. Are u gonna do chemo or radiation?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured