Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Foster mom's

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 32 Replies
My husband and I want to adopt a child or two in 5 years or so but i thought it would be a good idea to be foster parents first. my husband thinks it'll be too hard to have a kid come for 2 years (or how ever long they stay) get attached to them then have to send them to live with someone else. He feels like it would be unfair to them... So if you are a foster mom or maybe were in a foster home and want to share your experience please give me info on fostering kids. :) thanks :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I was a caseworker. Get in touch with your local licensing agency and they'll put you in touch with foster/adoptive parents in your area. Good luck.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I've never been a foster parent officially. But I did have temp custody of my 8yo niece last summer while her mom recovered from surgery. Thy live in Maine (and I'm in SoCal) and I will say that it was EXTREMELY hard to say goodbye to Danica when she went back home. So I can understand how your husband feels. That said, there's no reason why you couldn't keep in touch with your foster children after they move on. At least, it was allowed in the situations of two kids I grew up with who were in the system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Thanks. it'll be a few more years before we are able to but just wanted to hear peoples stories and experiences. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I was a caseworker. Get in touch with your local licensing agency and they'll put you in touch with foster/adoptive parents in your area. Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

They have fairs all the time. I have been a foster mom to my siblings and strangers and yes its hard but we need more good homes!

Quoting xanayda:

Thanks. it'll be a few more years before we are able to but just wanted to hear peoples stories and experiences. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

WarriorMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I a retired Foster Carer and I grew up with Foster sisters in our home.

What kind of things do you want to know about?

xanayda
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Thank you for your input! :) i know it'll be hard but i kinda feel like there are SO many bad foster homes that are just out for the money that we should foster kids to teach and show them love and kindness and stuff... maybe to me that our weights the fact that we'll have to send them away eventually. :(

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I've never been a foster parent officially. But I did have temp custody of my 8yo niece last summer while her mom recovered from surgery. Thy live in Maine (and I'm in SoCal) and I will say that it was EXTREMELY hard to say goodbye to Danica when she went back home. So I can understand how your husband feels. That said, there's no reason why you couldn't keep in touch with your foster children after they move on. At least, it was allowed in the situations of two kids I grew up with who were in the system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I like the way you think. You care more about helping the kids than the pain you might feel at the end. Not everybody is that big of a person.

Quoting xanayda:

Thank you for your input! :) i know it'll be hard but i kinda feel like there are SO many bad foster homes that are just out for the money that we should foster kids to teach and show them love and kindness and stuff... maybe to me that our weights the fact that we'll have to send them away eventually. :(

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Was it hard for them to adjust? was it hard to say good bye? do you still keep in touch? if you wanted to could you have chosen to adopt one of your foster kids? thank you so much for your time! :)

Quoting WarriorMum:

I a retired Foster Carer and I grew up with Foster sisters in our home.

What kind of things do you want to know about?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Aww thanks! :)

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I like the way you think. You care more about helping the kids than the pain you might feel at the end. Not everybody is that big of a person.

Quoting xanayda:

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kloesmommy
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I've also thought about becoming a foster parent but was concerned w/ how it may affect the children in the home (as in my daughter) does anyone have any input on how the Bio kids of the foster parents deal w/ the foster kids coming and going? Dd is going to be 6 in may. She is mostly an only child but dh does have a son who lives out of state. He comes for 2 weeks for spring break 5 for summer and 2 for winter break so she's used to having another kid come into the home then leave and she's such a good sharer and plays very well with kids of all ages. The only thing holding me back is concern for how it would affect my dd. So if anyone has any insight into this. Let me know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)