Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$140 to last 2 weeks

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have one in diapers and need to be able to feed a house of 2 adults and 4 children.

Suggestions please?

Let me add - I'm asking for a friend - I have no idea what's in her kitchen and she has no idea I'm asking.

Two children are not in the home full time but they ARE going to be there at least 4 days during that time.

Unforeseen financial circumstances arose and they're trying to budget $140.

I appreciate the help.

Meal suggestions would be great since I didn't clarify the first time.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
robyann
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this

If you don't have to buy diapers or any other household things you should be ok. Ground beef is pretty cheap and you can make all kinds of things with that: meatloaf, spaghetti, hamburgers, hamburger helper, chili....

Chicken legs are cheap and you can fry those. Get a big bag of potatoes,make mashed potatoes with the chicken, make french fries with the burgers. Get a whole chicken and some canned biscuits (the cheap ones) and make chicken and dumplins. Get 2 frozen bags of mixed vegetables, a can of V8 make vegetable soup add some potatoes. Get a large pack of pork chops (if they are on sale) you should be able to break that down and have that for 2 meals. Check the prices of canned vegetables against the price of frozen ones. If you have a store brand of these those are usually cheap.

Get a couple of loafs of cheap white bread, some american cheese, eggs, milk, you can make grilled cheese or egg sandwiches.

If necessary the adults can skip breakfast.

$140 isn't too bad for 2 weeks, just plan your meals out and don't buy any junk. Maybe 1 bag of chips and a brownie mix. GL

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Also look for meat that is reduced for quick sale. At albertsons where I live we can some times find quartered chickens reduced to under $7 and buy one get one free. Each is 5 1/2 pounds

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM
My family has been there we buy a lot of rice, ramen noodles, chicken and hamburger I have been able to feel my family for 2 weeks spending only 50 its hard but possible.. we make chicken and rice. I take chicken legs and fry them in a pot and in the same pot with with out removing chicken cook the rice with some chicken flavoring :)
marinenonstop
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Ok 20 lb bag of rice is like 12 bucks where i live. Walmart has five dozen eggs for seven bucks. Sack of potatoes, peppers.. Ground meat is like 8. Go to the meat market.ask for assorted meats..

Its not that difficult to feed a family of four for two weeks with 140 is they just take their time and budget.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Ok - this is a great suggestion. However - I'm not sure she has access to any PUL covers, and they use disposables. But someone suggested coupons for diapers so that should work.

I, personally am very guilty of overusing soap. Lol

Thank you for the food suggestions!

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

hand towels and wash cloths folded into a PUL diaper cover until she can afford some cheap prefolds.  She can wash daily.  

She can likely cut back on detergent only filling to 1 for a full load.  Most everyone over uses soap.  

Food, pasta - cut the meat out all together or limit it greatly.  Frozen fruits and frozen and canned veggies.  

Soups and rice.  

store brands.  

we feed a family of 4 each week on $25-$50 (we aim for $25 but can't go over $50, so it is possible)

daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Really?  I have no issue offering cheap meal advice be it for her or a friend.  Truth doesn't really change the advice. 

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL Op you make no sense. We can't help you if you can't even admit the truth...craziness.

So what's in the kitchen?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was asking as if it was for me.

I do have one in diapers though! Lol but we use cloth!

Quoting Anonymous:

Then why did you say "I have one in diapers"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks for trying - unfortunately I have no idea what's in the kitchen because I do not live there. I'm asking for a friend. Appreciate the help though.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

what do you have in your kitchen right now?  

ericaaf
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry to hear....me and my husband have been there before....we bought the cheapest diapers at walmart and ate a lot of ramen noodle soups and grilled cheese, and eggs and sausage, and hamburger helper meals

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Hyvee sells pork chops 10 for 10 and as for diapers buy store brand may not be the best situation but for 17 ollars you can get a box of 130 size 4 diaper s
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Wow! Where do you live? I live in Texas - I've never heard of anyone else with Albertson's lol I thought it was just a Texas thing.

Friend lives in West Virginia.

Quoting othermom:

Also look for meat that is reduced for quick sale. At albertsons where I live we can some times find quartered chickens reduced to under $7 and buy one get one free. Each is 5 1/2 pounds

ReachtotheStars
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

np, I wish her the best of luck.  If she is around the home she can add the absorbent stuff to the inside of underwear of the bigger kids and it can get washed, so she can save a little $$ on diapers where she can until she has more $$.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok - this is a great suggestion. However - I'm not sure she has access to any PUL covers, and they use disposables. But someone suggested coupons for diapers so that should work.

I, personally am very guilty of overusing soap. Lol

Thank you for the food suggestions!

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

hand towels and wash cloths folded into a PUL diaper cover until she can afford some cheap prefolds.  She can wash daily.  

She can likely cut back on detergent only filling to 1 for a full load.  Most everyone over uses soap.  

Food, pasta - cut the meat out all together or limit it greatly.  Frozen fruits and frozen and canned veggies.  

Soups and rice.  

store brands.  

we feed a family of 4 each week on $25-$50 (we aim for $25 but can't go over $50, so it is possible)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN