Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I NEEED HELP!!!!! No sleep til the house is destroyed. *********EDITIED WITH PIC*******

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

old and a 15 month old.

The 3 year old will NOT stay in bed or her room at night. She will go to bed, then wake up around 3 or 4am. Then again arounf 5 or 6. IF she was quiet and just stayed in her room, I wouldnt mind. I cant fault her for not being able to sleep. But she gets up and wanders around our house SOOOOO quietly. She gets into everything! The worst part is we cannot hear a damn thing and only discover the aftermath the next morning.

Whats strange is her energy level despit her lack of sleep. UP THERE!!!!!

She doesnt nap at all. Goes to bed around 8:30 or 9am and despite how many times she wakes up, she up for the day around 6:30am. She used to have a TV in her room which she could watch at night, but she lost it for her out of control temper tantrums and being mean and not sharing with her little sister.

Any ideas?

*******k so this is best picture I could find of the archway. Its 84" across. We use these insulated curtains. Behind dh and 3 year old is the kitchen/laundry area. This is actually him putting her back to bed the first time we caught her!*********

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM

basically, she has discovered something she likes (a reward of sorts)... and you need to find a way to stop the reward she's created for herself without turning it into another reward (spending time arguing and fussing with mom and Dad and getting attention instead of just sleeping on her own)...

kitchen.ninja
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Excorsism.

Jk!!! I'm not sure. I would take away toys or some type of age appropriate punishment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjlowe
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I used to wake up at the butt crack of dawn. My parent put an alarm clock in the room with nail polish in the place where when both hands were there I could get up and leave my room. They make clocks now that have a setting that says its bedtime still or it's wake up time. Maybe explain to her with the clock that she can get up when it's the right time, otherwise she has to stay in her room. If she fails to follow this, take toys away. 

DH was reading over my shoulder... He says to lock her in her room. I think this would cause a child panic. But maybe an extra tall gate on the outside of the door to keep her in might work along with the clock. 

Good luck mama! Keep us posted on what you have done!

RLT2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting littlesippycup:

Door alarm. Shut her door and when she leaves her room get up and go put her back to bed. That or an extra tall baby gate.

Yeah, I'd be getting a door alarm like, tomorrow!

mommyinindiana
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

a baby gate in her edroom doorway to keep her in her room until you let her out?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Ready for the kicker, no door! We live in a very tiny apartment in a small town where housing is virtually not available and if it is, you end up paying around $1200 for a one or two bedroom. We cant afford that. There is an archway separating their room, and our living/bedroom/kitchen area.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Door alarm. Shut her door and when she leaves her room get up and go put her back to bed. That or an extra tall baby gate.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

baby gate to keep her contained?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Lol kindred spirits you and I!

Quoting ihave1:

its midnight here and my two year old is wide awake.  ugh  so here is a bump for you. 

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM

lol yup.  30 minutes later and she is still awake. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol kindred spirits you and I!

Quoting ihave1:

its midnight here and my two year old is wide awake.  ugh  so here is a bump for you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Shes too smart for that, she will find a way over or just take it down! She is a quick study. All she has to do it look at it for a minute or so, and she can get it down.

Quoting bustybee:

baby gate to keep her contained?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)