Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stay at home mommy? or keep working?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 1 Replies

My fiance and I are about to have our son together. We are getting married in the fall and I've been given the option I could say home and care for the kids if I want.

My work life: I have been working in a customer Service job for the past 2 years and have been attempting for some time to get assistant management. However, everytime I get close to possibly starting some sort of training, something always seems to happen and training is post-poned (usually my end something happens, not theirs). I really want to prove I can do something big with my life and show my daughter that you should never give up on a goal.

Plus, my fiance works construction and anyone that has a construction worker for a so, they know that construction comes and goes. He just recently finished a job and could be off work for a couple of weeks (which hurts us on consistancy with paychecks). It worries me constantly how we could take care os ourselves if he should be off work for some time and not have my extra cash flow coming in.

My home life: My fiance has two kids of his own (he has custody), I have my daughter, then our son on the way. We're sure we're done with kids, but not so sure if we can afford everything. If I were to stay home, he could pick up a second job and we wouldn't have to worry about finding daycare for a cheap amount. However, if he grabs a second job, he may not be able to make the same amount my job gives me. 

On top of everything, if I were to stay home, I could be the main care-taker and it would be certain the kids are under a more fine-tuned schedule than the one they're on now. I could also care for and raise our new baby son without having to worry about him not getting the consistancy in parenting as he would be with a daycare for a large amount of his morning.

When our son is born, it'd be the perfect time to leave work, but I'm not sure if I want to. I would love to stay home with my children (as it was actually something that I wanted when I was younger) but I would also love to stay at my job, make extra money coming in and show the kids to not just give up. Please help me!! I'm at such a loss and have been back and forth on this for the past 4 months.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

keep working since construction work is not steady.  Men want to do what they think is right by saying we can stay home, but right now until he finds a more steady line of work, it is better for you to bring in some money.  What if he got injured?? It would be better at least to get a large enough nest egg before making the final decision.

I work nights, so that he has them in the evening and i can still be home in the day, which also cuts down on daycare costs, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)