Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Oral herpes" in toddlers.... Update!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
So, a couple days ago my oldest daughter (2.5) woke up with the corner of her lips, like where her top and bottom lips meet, split. I didn't think anything of it because it is terribly dry in here. I've been putting carmex on it and trying to keep her from messing with it.

Fast forward to today, it looks worse. My SO says it is probably because she won't leave it alone, made sense to me. Then I notice my youngest (1.5) acting as if her mouth is bothering her, looked as best I could inside and didn't see anything. A couple hours later, I looked again, she has at least 4 or 5 tiny sores inside her mouth. I Googled "sores inside toddler mouth" and I'm pretty sure it's oral herpes, which is apparently super common. I don't think its hand, fppt and mouth because it isn't anywhere but their mouths.

I told my mom what was going on and she's freaking out that I didn't rush them to the ER. I told her what I read online and that taking them to the ER would be pointless. She asked why I would "want them to suffer"... Does anyone else thing I should have rushed them to the ER. They've been slightly whiny and sometimes have a very low grade temp. It should be okay to wait until the AM to get them into their doc, right?

Sorry so long!

Took them to the doc, it isn't oral herpes, I forget what he said it was, some virus that will "run its course". He gave me a topical antibiotic for one of the sores on my oldests lip and a numbing angent. Thanks for all the replies.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Also, sorry for typos.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Bump
-42-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I'd take them to the doc in the morning. It may not be as bad as what you're thinking. It could be canker sores inside and just an irritation on the outside. Nothing that requires an ER visit, IMO.

Hope they get to feeling better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Thanks. I didn't think an ER visit would be necessary either. Nothing on Google was potentially serious. My mom just kinda freaked me out.

Quoting -42-:

I'd take them to the doc in the morning. It may not be as bad as what you're thinking. It could be canker sores inside and just an irritation on the outside. Nothing that requires an ER visit, IMO.

Hope they get to feeling better soon!

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Are you sure they aren't canker sores from something they ate, or even a reaction to a new toothpaste? I kind of doubt it is herpes.

DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

This is NOTHING that needs to be seen at an ER...take them to the doc in the morning...

southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
As long as they are hydrated you're fine to wait till morning. Ds has them, they can go down their throat if not treated soon so definitely get in tomorrow.

This has become a few times a year battle with ds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

thats from virus not to much of a big deal unless it happens in the eye.  At least this is what my doctor told me ( i think) .  I think you should take her to see  a doctor

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM

i wouldnt rush them to the er, i would wait till the morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a form of the herpes virus. Not the traditional kind you're probably thinking of but apparently there's a strand that is super common and most everyone gets it at some point. I don't know, it could be something else but they both have it.

Quoting lucsch:

Are you sure they aren't canker sores from something they ate, or even a reaction to a new toothpaste? I kind of doubt it is herpes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured