Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How long is your child's recess?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Hi Ladies,

My dd will start kindergarten in fall 2013. I was checking out our school district webpage and recess for our elementary schools are only 15 minutes.The schedule for kindergarten is 8:30am-11:10am with a recess from 10:00-10:15am.

That seems like a really short recess to me =/ Is this normal?

My dd currently attends a Montessori school and recess is 30minutes.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

My kids got to private school so I don't know if it's the same for other schools, they get a fifteen minute break in the morning, a fifteen minute recess and a fifteen minute break in the afternoon.  Recess they play outside in the courtyard or in the gym and the breaks they are allowed to wander the halls, have a snack and go to the bathroom.  The breaks are school wide at the same time, but the recess varies by grade. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM

My kids get a half hour.  Now my sons teacher this year takes it off of them almost every single day as a punishment for something someone in the class did.  I think they have had recess maybe 10 days this year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM
My kindergartner says he gets recess once a week. I think that is completely ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

We had 15 minutes till grade 4 then it went to 10 minutes till the end of grade 6. That was back in the 80's. My son only got playtime after lunch when he was in elm for about 20 minutes.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Recess is usually during lunch, so after they wait on line, sit and eat and then go out to play that is all they had left.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM
When my son went to school I think it was 15 min in the morning and 30 min after lunch. He's homeschooled now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Bump
NikLvsNick
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I want to say that it's 15-20 minutes twice a day. Though, during winter, my DD cannot go outside if the temp is under 40 degrees. It dries her skin out and her eczema flares up. I've already had to yell at her school the second year in a row about this crap -__-

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM

As long as she needs. She is homeschooled.

DonnaPinitonya
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:45 AM

It sounds normal, it's not exactly a long day and they will have at least a snack time too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN