Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Social anxiety!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
Can someone just help me? Just one tip please?!?!?!

It has been TWO YEARS since I have talked to someone other than my mother, sisters and son. I am terrified about my first on campus class!!!! What can I do? I don't even remember how to talk to strangers anymore!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Fus29
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow! That is a long time. Just be yourself, if you dnt like to talk, then dnt. If I were you though I would attempt to make some friends...just be yourself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I have social anxiety.

There's not a whole lot you can do in that situation, sorry :-/ I've been there. I just kept to myself all the time unless I was called on in class. When we had to do group projects people usually just gathered with the people that were sitting next to them, so that was easy. It's kind of a "face your fear" situation, it gets a little easier the more times you have to do it.

I had to do a stand up speech in one of my classes once a week. After the first couple times it wasn't that bad.

bribabyfever7
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Woooooo! Ur gonna gave to do this on ur own girl lol everyone's different! Anxiety isnt bad everyone has anxiety otherwise we would all be like boring drones that were never excited about anything!!!

Just one thing i can say is HAVE SOME FUN AND BE HAPpy!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Do I bring up that I am a mom? If they ask about the non existing father do I answer?
I'm so nervous I feel sick to my stomach and my first day of class is a week away.

Quoting Mrs.Fus29:

Wow! That is a long time. Just be yourself, if you dnt like to talk, then dnt. If I were you though I would attempt to make some friends...just be yourself

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Just smile and don't let them see you worrying about it ! Fake it til you make it lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Won't they think poorly of me because I am a 20 year old single mother? Why would they want to talk to me?

Quoting bribabyfever7:

Woooooo! Ur gonna gave to do this on ur own girl lol everyone's different! Anxiety isnt bad everyone has anxiety otherwise we would all be like boring drones that were never excited about anything!!!

mamanay041010
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM

On campus should have a clinic you can go to, trust me you should go, in college was the first time I saw a therapist and it was the best idea I could have come up with, I went from not having any friends, eating alone everyday and going to my form room after classes for the entire first three months of school after going I slowly learned ways to get out and be social I joined a sorority became really close friends with my roommate and its how I met my husband :) for some people social anxiety is just as easy as getting them in the right room for me it's much more difficult and even though I got that far in college I have regressed I have agoraphobia and if you don't take small steps and keep going you end up convincing yourself you need to be isolated from people and you only need to interact with certain people, if your social anxiety is as bad as mine having a good support system is important you can pm me if you want 

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Get anti anxiety meds.
..that's what I do.

I have social anxiety. I've fainted on campus whenever I got really anxious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM
They have people like that you can talk to? I'm still getting over my abusive ex but my family doesn't believe in therapy so I feel like it would be weird to go.

Quoting mamanay041010:

On campus should have a clinic you can go to, trust me you should go, in college was the first time I saw a therapist and it was the best idea I could have come up with, I went from not having any friends, eating alone everyday and going to my form room after classes for the entire first three months of school after going I slowly learned ways to get out and be social I joined a sorority became really close friends with my roommate and its how I met my husband :) for some people social anxiety is just as easy as getting them in the right room for me it's much more difficult and even though I got that far in college I have regressed I have agoraphobia and if you don't take small steps and keep going you end up convincing yourself you need to be isolated from people and you only need to interact with certain people, if your social anxiety is as bad as mine having a good support system is important you can pm me if you want 

bribabyfever7
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Who knows! Everyone has a reason that someone else wont like them u dont have to tell people everything about you. Until u feel a good vibe from them and actually want to tell them more about yourself ! Unless u take the brave route throw it all out there and are ready for what some could say. But ya know as long as you are yourself. And a kind person. I dont see why u should have a single worry in the world. Be proud and dont get close with people who seem un sincere. Take ur time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Won't they think poorly of me because I am a 20 year old single mother? Why would they want to talk to me?

Quoting bribabyfever7:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)