Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Head Lice Question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I have a few questions about lice.
Yesterday I picked my DD up and they said they noticed her itching, checked her head and she had lice. I asked if anyone else was checked and they said no. She was in the office.
A month and a half ago we also dealt with this and it took forever to finally get rid of it. Since then I checked her head every day and I found nothing. No bugs, no nits. I also checked everyone elses head and found nothing (I would check with my fingers and with a metal flea comb).
Anyways, they tried saying that we "must not have gotten rid of it the last time" (keep in mind this was about 6 weeks ago). I bought baby oil, slathered her hair, put a bag over it and left it on for 1 hour. When it was done I brushed through her hair using the flea comb and picked through with my fingers. I found 8 bugs and 3 nits, that was it.
Now, if these lice were from 6 WEEKS ago wouldn't there be MORE than 8 bugs and 3 nits?
Should I be demanding that the whole class is checked?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Yes
mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Not demand, but I would let the school nurse know. They will take it from there.

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:14 AM
I'd treat her again regardless, but yes, a notice needs to be sent home to all parents that a case of head lice was discovered in the classroom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM
The baby oil worked. Her head is clean again, thank goodness.

Quoting Sagely:

I'd treat her again regardless, but yes, a notice needs to be sent home to all parents that a case of head lice was discovered in the classroom.
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM

yes. also its usually standard practice if one child has it they have to notify all of the other parents as well as check every child. my dd came home from preschool with lice. luckily she must have gotten them that day cuz there wasnt a single egg. easy fix.

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM

that is the policy here in my district . if a single child has it the whole school is tested...good luck. my sisters children had it bad and once my ss got rid of it they had it again.. Source was the kids dads place.(he lied and said he cleaned everything) . He never cleaned like he was suppose too and they keep getting reinected..

itsallabtthem84
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM
They need to he checking everyone's head. Just reading those made me itch. If they don't then go above the principal's head and tell him/her that is what you are doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:10 AM
That was my plan today. I am taking them to school and speaking with the principal. Obviously she is getting it from somewhere and it's likely school.
I am telling her that I believe the whole classroom should be checked and that if they don't then I will contact the school board.

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

They need to he checking everyone's head. Just reading those made me itch. If they don't then go above the principal's head and tell him/her that is what you are doing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Yeah, we made sure that we cleaned everything.
Backpacks, coats, hats, mittens, snowpants, ALL bedding (including pillows), stuffed animals, car seats were vaccumed, mattresses were vaccumed, couches and chairs were vaccumed, etc.

Quoting Mommie2Kailen:

that is the policy here in my district . if a single child has it the whole school is tested...good luck. my sisters children had it bad and once my ss got rid of it they had it again.. Source was the kids dads place.(he lied and said he cleaned everything) . He never cleaned like he was suppose too and they keep getting reinected..

BigMamaMN
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM

When we got lice we hired a lice expert to remove the eggs. She said it is only transmitted head-to-head and cannot be contracted any other way. Lice die 18 hours after being away from the head and cannot lay eggs on anything other than attached hair. Make sure your child does not share hats, combs, or pillows; and that she does not lay on the floor and you should be just fine. You can call her if you have questions. Her website is mnlicelady.com.

So sorry to hear your news, there's nothing worse than a case of the critters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN