Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hard is it to check the weather before sending your kids to school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a kindergarten teacher (today is a planning day) and this bugs me. For the last week, it has been warm, getting up to the 80s in the afternoon, yet the kids were coming to school in heavy winter clothes. Then yesterday, it was cool and there were kids in shorts and t-shirts. Really, how hard is it to turn on the weather channel, check the weather on your phone or hey step outside to make sure your child is in weather appropriate clothing? I really feel bad for some of these kids

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
As a teacher, I have wondered the same thing. However, I can also remember a few times when a cold front moves in mid day and my dd wasn't prepared because I forgot. It happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Guess what? It's 20 degrees out today, and I ust sent my son off in a t-shirt. Why you ask? Because that is what he's most comfortable in. Also, inside the school is very warm. He begs me everyday to let him wear a short sleeved shirt. I'm glad my sons kindergarten teacher understands completely.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM
4 moms liked this

My kids like shorts as long as the temps are above freezing, I'm lucky to get them in a coat in the morning.  Worry about teaching and leave the parenting to the parents!

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I have a gadget on my laptop desktop that tells me the weather :) I always check it while the kids are having breakfast so they are prepared. 

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually check the forecast on Sunday for the week because we pick out her outfits for the week and lay them out.

If she had school today, we would have had to switch shorts to pants! It got cold last night:)
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM
My DDs best friend will not wear a coat or pants and her mom doesn't make her. I always wonder what her teachers think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Wow, parent of the year. If I were your child's teacher, I would have already called CPS (which I would pretty much be required to do if he was coming to school like that). So if you have  a DD and when she is a teen, she is most comfortable dressing like a whore, you would be ok with that too? What does he do during recess, in my school, if a kid doesn't have a jacket on and it is under 50 degrees out, he or she is not allowed to go to recess, they have to go sit in the office.

Quoting Anonymous:

Guess what? It's 20 degrees out today, and I ust sent my son off in a t-shirt. Why you ask? Because that is what he's most comfortable in. Also, inside the school is very warm. He begs me everyday to let him wear a short sleeved shirt. I'm glad my sons kindergarten teacher understands completely.

gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I know. I would see that at the park when I take ds. It will be like 75* and the parents would have their little one in a big winter coat, hat & gloves. And the kid would be sweating bullets. Meanwhile my ds is in short sleves and pants, no jacket.

We dress ds in what ever we feel comfortable in. if its cold, we dress him approprately, hot same thing.

smilesrgood
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

well atleast your concerned. My daughter is in kindergarten and I was running late getting her to school and we are supposed to send her with a snack everyday bcuz shes only half day. So one day I stuck in a snack in my daughter book bag I guess my daughter didn't hear me when I told her but at school all kids were eating enjoying there snack while my daughter was just sitting there. I dont know if I'm wrong but maybe a quick email or a phone call couldnt made me feel better instead of her coming home starving

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I do check the weather. It was in the 80s for a week so my son wore shorts/short sleeves, yesterday it was in the sixties so just a long sleeve shirt/ pants and today it was in the 30s so long sleeves/pants/heavy coat. I don't get it either, is take my son to school and he was one of two or three kids in shorts and short sleeves, but we live in ga and it was going to be 80 degrees.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN