Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you make him walk in 5 degrees? Update

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 84 Replies

UPDATE... ds called to inform me that his boots were indeed at the school, and that he made the bus in time.. (course I knew that)  And he also asked me NOT to tell dh about the fit he threw when dh gets home tonight (dh has been working out of town for the past two weeks)... lol.. I told me me and dad already talked.. and he groaned.  Last time dad had a "talk" with him, dh sat and stared at ds for like ten min without saying a word.. ds never looked so worried in his life.. then dh pointed at him and simply said "that there is my wife, your mother, and you will not speak to her like that again, and if you do, you and I will have a "come to Jesus moment", do you understand me?"    So I am curious as to what dh intends to do.  

My 8 almost 9 yr old and I are at odds many mornings.  He is by no means a morning person... Im not much of one either.  Well he has missed the bus several times.... now.. part of it, is the bus is not a regular as I would like.  they say 7:45.. sometimes they are there at 7:40 and sometimes, not till close to 8.  I usually have the boys leave at 7:35... it is less then a 2 min slow walk to the buss stop.. it is literally a block away (small country town blocks where to us a "block" is two houses)... now the mornings he misses the bus is because he wants to throw a fit about something.  Now today I did wake them up later then normal.  Everyone has been passing a stomach bug around.. and last night was my turn, and I'm pregnant, AND I kept getting charley horse cramps in my calf last night.  BUT regardless, his brother was able to get dressed, bundled in his snow gear, eat breakfast, brush teeth and was waiting and ready to leave by 7:30.  

I told my oldest that he needed to hurry..(this morning the whining was because he could not find his boots.. i couldnt' find his boots.. and therefore.. they must be at the school.  He was insisting that he brought them home and sat them on the shoe matt... sorry buddy, not buying it, that may be what you THINK happened, but boots are not there, they are no where to be found, last time this happened, they were at school. So I told him double up on socks and put his shoes on.  HE THREW A FIT.  I am not over exaggerating.. he threw a horrid fit.  I informed him that A) big mistake because dad will be home tonight B) he just lost all electronic privileges for the weekend C) He will be wri\tting lines when he gets home and D) I will have a list of chores as well.  

I sent my other son off for the bus because I did not want him to be late.  I look over and my oldest is SLOWLY putting his shoes on.. at tihs point it is 7:35... I tell him to get moving and he inform es me that he didnt' have breakfast.. well no duh, you spent the last 10 min throwing a fit, but no prob I already put a pbj in yoru backpack to eat on the bus.. then he says.. "well I'm not ready and I'm not going to walk to the bus if I'm just going to miss it."  I lost my temper a bit and bent down and looked him straight in the eyes and said "you had better hope you don't miss that bus, because if you do... you'll walk the 6 blocks to school." He said "you can't do that, its too cold."  I looked him in the eyes again with my "wanna bet" look and said "watch me."

he left quickly after that.  Now I'm sitting here wondering if I would have actually followed through.. thankfully he did not miss the bus.... 

And OH, for the stuck up moms that will say "why don't you drive him if your a sham"... well, easy.. off and on I do, but I have a 5 yr old dd who is sick and a 4 yr old ds who is sick.  It is 5 degrees outside, and my vehicle does not like cold weather,  Plus, I'm sick, but I have no problem going out in the cold when I'm sick.. but I'm nto dragging my other two out into the cold when they have fevers.  And i have no one here to sit with them while I run the other two to school.  Besides, why waste gas and time when the bus comes and gets them less then a block away?

Also, 5 is cold, but at this time of the year normal.. we have snow about 8 mo of the year, and cold just as long, school doesn't close till its neg 25, but even then the rest of the town keeps going, and people still head out to work.  Kids are usually outside playing when the temps are only in the teens, depending on the snow fall even lower.  We cast off jackets once it hits the 30's, but talk about how nice it is in the 20's.   All my kids, yes my oldest included have thick heavy Wall's brand snow suits, coats, ect.  so while its cold, they are usually quite warm.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep, he'd have walked. If you say it, you better follow through, if you don't they know it and will use it against you everytime.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
No, but only because I wouldnt walk in 5 degree weather, so I wouldnt make my kid
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I would have made him walk.  Hell, I made my middle school son ride his bike 5 miles to school because he missed the bus 3 times in two weeks.  Never missed the bus again.

daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I asked dh what he would do (he is out of town for work, but grew up here), he said "IDK.. I never rode the bus.  I always walked. Even if it were colder."

Started thinking about it.. many kids walk to school even when it is this cold. 

But my son would HATE it, so it would still be effective.

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Yep, he'd have walked. If you say it, you better follow through, if you don't they know it and will use it against you everytime.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Best answer!!  No way.  Sometimes it is just too cold or hot to be outdoors...period!

Quoting Anonymous:

No, but only because I wouldnt walk in 5 degree weather, so I wouldnt make my kid

daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I do it all the time.  Like if I need to run to the gas station.. why warm the car up for 20 min when it takes less time to walk there and back, or to the doctors office which is 3 blocks, or the flea market which is only 4.. IDK... it it takes me less time to walk there and back then it does to warm up the car (and I don't have sick kids) then I walk.   Plus,  we HAVE to get out of the house and walk around eventually.. or we would go crazy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Exactly. I live in the CO, so cold temps are nothing suprising around here, but it really is just too cold to be outside for an extended period lol I try to parent with the "treat others as you want to be treated" philosophy and that applies to doing stuff too. If I wouldnt do it, I wont make my kid do it (within reason)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Best answer!!  No way.  Sometimes it is just too cold or hot to be outdoors...period!

Quoting Anonymous:

daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We go out when its that cold.  *shrug*  live in a cold place, you get used to it.. can't put life on hold just because its going to be in the single digits for a month. 

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Okay, well if you do it, then it is probably fine to make him do it. I was just saying, I would not do it, so I personally wouldnt make my kid do it

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Anonymous:

I do it all the time.  Like if I need to run to the gas station.. why warm the car up for 20 min when it takes less time to walk there and back, or to the doctors office which is 3 blocks, or the flea market which is only 4.. IDK... it it takes me less time to walk there and back then it does to warm up the car (and I don't have sick kids) then I walk.   Plus,  we HAVE to get out of the house and walk around eventually.. or we would go crazy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)