Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Looking for punishment ideas....(children and fire)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

I have a 10 year old son who has been caught playing with fire and burning stuff including, paper, a light switch, my moms wall ect ect..

I have made him write an essay on why we don't play with fire....I have called the fire chief and let them deal with him...I have called the PD to scare him....I have spanken him (we are not spankers)...I had him look at pictured of burned victims and even had him talk to a friend of ours that was a burned victim and yet he continues....What else can I do?

I have talked to his doctor and his councelor and nothing...

I am afraid he will burn my house down or even worse kill someone in the house because of a fire

***I don't know where he gets the lighters from we have gotten rid of all lighters in the house and locked up the matches****

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Setting fires is a big red flag, psychologically speaking.  If the counselor won't help, find a new one.

Perhaps see if you can take him TO a burn unit, to talk to the people.  Let him see the pain they're in.

I'm wondering though - have you asked him WHY?  And are there other things going on in his life?  A lot of times, something like that is a cry for attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I have asked each and every time and he he always lies and or denies it or just doesn't have an answer...

There is no burn units near us the closest one was almost 4 hours away...I am trying to find a new counselor however to find one that takes out insurance has not been easy...

No there is nothing else going on in his life...I have sat with him numerous times and talked to him about this

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Setting fires is a big red flag, psychologically speaking.  If the counselor won't help, find a new one.

Perhaps see if you can take him TO a burn unit, to talk to the people.  Let him see the pain they're in.

I'm wondering though - have you asked him WHY?  And are there other things going on in his life?  A lot of times, something like that is a cry for attention.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)