Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate my cat **Edit**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She is a conniving little s$%*. We allowed my parents to get her for DD as a Christmas gift, and it was a huge mistake. I am a dog person through and through. I am nice to the cat, and she follows me around endlessly. She wants nothing to do with DD, yet I can't go to the bathroom without her following me, and she is always tripping me! She hisses at DH all the time, for no reason. She has destroyed every set of curtains in my house. She knocked my coffee into my lap this morning and knocked over a lamp. I am so sick of it! I feel like we can't get rid of her because DD will be devastated and my dad will be so mad since he got it for her. I made a mistake that is going to last 20 years :(

Does anyone know how you can get an indoor/outdoor cat to come back? I think it would help if we let her outside sometimes, but I am afraid she would take off or something. 

Whoa, ladies! I am sorry I have not been on top of this post as I have been getting stuff done around the house. Thank you all so much for all of the helpful information! I thought I was going to be bashed by cat lovers, but you have all been awesome. 

To the one person who said she deserves a better home- I see where you are coming from, and there are times where I think about finding one for her, but DD is only three and would not understand at all. The cat does love playing with her, but won't cuddle with her. She only cuddles with me. It is funny that she has totally chosen me, the least cat loving person in the house, as "her person". I can't even sit on the toilet without seeing her little paws under the bathroom door. 

Many of you asked if she is declawed. She is not, and I will not get her declawed. I think it is kind of mean and would worry if she got out, plus she is already 7 months old and I think you have to do it by 6 months. We do have soft paws on her, and it helps somewhat, but she gets them off all of the time. 

I have not decided about letting her out yet...right now it is so freezing cold out there! Someone suggested a harness, so maybe when it is warmer we will try that. 

Although she makes me nuts, I do think a lot of it is just that she is a kitten and has a ton of energy. We all play with her, and she has toys and her scratching post, but she needs more. Thank you again for all of your help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
stef1976
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I hoping our 2 cats leave and don't come back. I love them, but I feel they are trying to kill me! One sleeps on my throat and the other one thinks I'm a chew toy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a water bottle (like they use at hair salons...they're 1.00 at dollar tree) and fill it with water. Spray her every time she goes to the curtains.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, had to go get groceries! To answer some questions, yes she is fixed and she is also up to date on all of her shots. She does have a scratching post and it is in a central location. She does use it all the time, but also uses my curtains, lol. My daughter loves running around with the string toy and the cat will chase her around. It just seems that she still has so much excess energy!! She spent three hours the other day ramming into the window trying to catch snow flakes...she is not the brightest, haha. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmccrea
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Most cats that are indoor/outdoor know to come back.  But if you live in town you run the risk of her getting hit by a car and possibly having your daughter see her cat splat.  (been there done that).  Also, you will have to get it (probably) more vaccines since it will be at risk for rabies, herpes, leukemia and others.  So make sure to take the cat to a vet first to let them know it will be an indoor/outdoor cat.  Only feed her inside, but leave water out outside for it.  My cat is indoor/outdoor and loves it.  He used to destroy my furniture and curtains too, but now he's outside for several hours a day and plays and plays.  

mmccrea
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

OMG and I almost forgot-before you let her out make sure to get her spayed or else the first time you let her out you will get kittens.  How fun and expensive!

Anariama
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate mine too. She is always attacking or hissing at us,I dont know what to do with her.

MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

cats will usually come back. just make sure there is food and water outside.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Have her declawed  it will save your curtains and furniture.Sometimes kitten becume attached to the person that takes care of the most. Don't forget to have her fixed in case she gets out.

cupomeow
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

She has chosen you as her person. I know it sounds nutty but get another cat. She needs company, she is bored. Also, is she fixed? It can change their personality some, calm them down and make them less likely to wander.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Quoting gblossom:

I have no clue -- I don't like cats myself. But here is a bump :)

meggera007
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I don't really know what to tell you other than to try some of the ideas the other ladies have suggested. The water bottle idea might help save some furniture and curtains since most cats HATE getting sprayed with water or even being around it. Unless she's a weirdo like my cats are (all of them love water, two of them have jumped in the shower with me before LOL!). 

Or you could call Jackson Galaxy from the show My Cat From Hell, lol. He could help you out! :D 

Just kidding, but seriously, I hope that you find a solution and your cat becomes a very loved part of the family. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)