Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate my cat **Edit**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She is a conniving little s$%*. We allowed my parents to get her for DD as a Christmas gift, and it was a huge mistake. I am a dog person through and through. I am nice to the cat, and she follows me around endlessly. She wants nothing to do with DD, yet I can't go to the bathroom without her following me, and she is always tripping me! She hisses at DH all the time, for no reason. She has destroyed every set of curtains in my house. She knocked my coffee into my lap this morning and knocked over a lamp. I am so sick of it! I feel like we can't get rid of her because DD will be devastated and my dad will be so mad since he got it for her. I made a mistake that is going to last 20 years :(

Does anyone know how you can get an indoor/outdoor cat to come back? I think it would help if we let her outside sometimes, but I am afraid she would take off or something. 

Whoa, ladies! I am sorry I have not been on top of this post as I have been getting stuff done around the house. Thank you all so much for all of the helpful information! I thought I was going to be bashed by cat lovers, but you have all been awesome. 

To the one person who said she deserves a better home- I see where you are coming from, and there are times where I think about finding one for her, but DD is only three and would not understand at all. The cat does love playing with her, but won't cuddle with her. She only cuddles with me. It is funny that she has totally chosen me, the least cat loving person in the house, as "her person". I can't even sit on the toilet without seeing her little paws under the bathroom door. 

Many of you asked if she is declawed. She is not, and I will not get her declawed. I think it is kind of mean and would worry if she got out, plus she is already 7 months old and I think you have to do it by 6 months. We do have soft paws on her, and it helps somewhat, but she gets them off all of the time. 

I have not decided about letting her out yet...right now it is so freezing cold out there! Someone suggested a harness, so maybe when it is warmer we will try that. 

Although she makes me nuts, I do think a lot of it is just that she is a kitten and has a ton of energy. We all play with her, and she has toys and her scratching post, but she needs more. Thank you again for all of your help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Replies (21-30):
hnischke
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! She loves you! Get a companion and then they'll occupy each other. Also squirt bottles will be very helpful with the scratching problem. I don't recommend letting the cat out the chances of death are a lot greater.

Quoting cupomeow:

She has chosen you as her person. I know it sounds nutty but get another cat. She needs company, she is bored. Also, is she fixed? It can change their personality some, calm them down and make them less likely to wander.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Would it really be a bad thing if the cat just some how got out and did not come back? and by go out I mean given away.
xboybrksgrlx
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Cats are awesome. My now outdoor cat was inside for the first 2 years of his life then wanted out. I let him out a little at a time now he only comes in when it's too cold or wants love. If you have a kitten, or under a year old, just play with her/him. Cats need a positive outlet. If you have an affectionate cat then you're lucky, some cats just only cuddle or play when they want too. I
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I hate my cat too !!!she howls all night since the day we got her . Not meows howls so loud she wakes me
schoolbusmom72
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

she knows where she gets fed. She will be back....I had a cat for 16 years and in the 16 years had moved 4 times. She always came home.

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM

she sounds cute :(

give her a chance!

Bonita131
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM

You need to find a better home for the cat. A caring home where the entire family likes the cat. Your feelings toward the cat will never change & it is not fair you keep the cat since you dislike her so much. Your DD will understand, especially if as you say, the cat will have nothing to do with her, and I'm sure your Dad will understand when you tell him the circumstances.  

I would not advise letting the cat outside if it's an indoor cat. My friends indoor cat of 12 yrs, was let out accidently 6 months ago and has not been seen since.  Needless to say, my friend and family who are cat lovers are devastated.

onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I'm sorry you don't love cats because you're missing out on a lot of the joy they bring. Tell the cat "I love you" over and over again until it's true. Personally I think cats SHOULD be allowed to go out, and if I lived in an area with cyotes or high traffic, I just wouldn't have a cat. The water bottle is a must with cats. 

cat

annasew
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

get a lazer light and sit on the couch and have fun lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Our cat has just came into puberty and has been meowing like crazy at night. A few nights ago we were letting the dog in and he made a run for it. We tried to get him back into the hoouse but he refused and after a few minutes he disappeared. I was devistated but at 6 am the next morning he came to the door a started to meow. I let him in. He has done this every night since. I hope he returns every morning but I am sure he will eventually move on, at least I hope not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)