Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate my cat **Edit**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She is a conniving little s$%*. We allowed my parents to get her for DD as a Christmas gift, and it was a huge mistake. I am a dog person through and through. I am nice to the cat, and she follows me around endlessly. She wants nothing to do with DD, yet I can't go to the bathroom without her following me, and she is always tripping me! She hisses at DH all the time, for no reason. She has destroyed every set of curtains in my house. She knocked my coffee into my lap this morning and knocked over a lamp. I am so sick of it! I feel like we can't get rid of her because DD will be devastated and my dad will be so mad since he got it for her. I made a mistake that is going to last 20 years :(

Does anyone know how you can get an indoor/outdoor cat to come back? I think it would help if we let her outside sometimes, but I am afraid she would take off or something. 

Whoa, ladies! I am sorry I have not been on top of this post as I have been getting stuff done around the house. Thank you all so much for all of the helpful information! I thought I was going to be bashed by cat lovers, but you have all been awesome. 

To the one person who said she deserves a better home- I see where you are coming from, and there are times where I think about finding one for her, but DD is only three and would not understand at all. The cat does love playing with her, but won't cuddle with her. She only cuddles with me. It is funny that she has totally chosen me, the least cat loving person in the house, as "her person". I can't even sit on the toilet without seeing her little paws under the bathroom door. 

Many of you asked if she is declawed. She is not, and I will not get her declawed. I think it is kind of mean and would worry if she got out, plus she is already 7 months old and I think you have to do it by 6 months. We do have soft paws on her, and it helps somewhat, but she gets them off all of the time. 

I have not decided about letting her out yet...right now it is so freezing cold out there! Someone suggested a harness, so maybe when it is warmer we will try that. 

Although she makes me nuts, I do think a lot of it is just that she is a kitten and has a ton of energy. We all play with her, and she has toys and her scratching post, but she needs more. Thank you again for all of your help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Replies (31-40):
gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My kitty just came back. we were where his food was. I was a little worried when he first started escaping. But cats have a great memory and sense of direction. I bet if you let her out she will come back. Becareful though if shes not fixed she will get knocked up. And if she doesnt come back you can just tell dd she ran away

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

My cats use a pet door. Is she a kitten? Kittens are fucking nuts, but they calm down after a year or so (getting them fixed helps too).. My girl cat is klutzy and still knocks shit over all the time, though. When we moved we were told to keep the cats indoors for at least 2 weeks and after that they would just come home. They always do. We also looked on craigslist and found a 6 or 7 ft cat tower for like $30 and we made them another one with different materials on it... they love them and rarely scratch on anything else.

Oh and when they were kittens they also loved this spinny toy thing

it's annoying at night, but they love it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

That is why pets are not good gifts to give

Annsf
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I too am a dog person but can't live wo my cat. Definitely a pet door- about 100 + at Home Depot, neutering, a spray water bottle whenever she goes toward curtains, sofa. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I have  a cat and I trained her to a harness and leash. I take her outside with us when we go. I also have a post in teh ground that I can chain her to. I just make sure that whenever I go inside she goes also. She will spend hours outside with us. You just don't want to leave her out by herself because you don't want anything to get ahold of her.

Refurbished
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Don't let her outside if she hasn't been fixed or had her shots.  Indoor/outdoor cats know exactly where the food is and always come back.  If that's the only way you can keep your sanity, then let her out -- but not without a full set of shots including leukemia and getting her fixed.

How old is she?  The drapes and lamp thing is a kitten problem.  Cats get lazy as they get older and stop doing all that bratty stuff. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Our current cats are indoor only, but if you wanted an indoor/outdoor cat you could supervise it outside for awhile.  Just take it slow....you need to see how the cat will feel things out.  You could also get it declawed if you're worried about the furniture, etc.  I have a crazy cat who scratched me really badly once, and as a precaution because we were having a baby, we had the cat declawed.  She's happy now and we're not afraid of her.  If you have the cat declawed, you'll have to keep it indoors.  I'm sure there will be some backlash about declawing....but it was a good solution for me.

jupiter5
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

fok i totally know what to do, i had a cat just like this, he was very hyper so he was always causing trouble inside so we had to let him be indoor outdoor

1 get her spayed!! they are way liklier to roam and leave for kittens/male cats

2 feed her free choice, bowl always full and inside, so she knows thats home

3 let her out for a little while not all day!

4 always bring her in before dark

5 get her a microchip and a safety collar ( the buckle snaps open if it gets caught so she wont hang herself jumping around)

6 start training her to come when you shake treats and call her name (just give her treats like a DOG WHEN SHE COMES)

7 be very careful of cars, they are a cats biggest threat!

good luck!!

smushy79
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I have 2 male cats, indoor, who are awesome. Dh said female cats were bitchy...or at least the ones he had growing up were. GL!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momalee40
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Just be sure you are.prepared for your dd to be upset if kitty doesnt come back or gets hurt. I live in town on a very quiet street & have had 2 cats get hit by cars and 2 got taken by coyotes ! For clawing, you should try a product called Soft Paws. They work well and arent permanent. Lots.of.play time and realize if she is young, she will calm down some as she gets older.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured