Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate my cat **Edit**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She is a conniving little s$%*. We allowed my parents to get her for DD as a Christmas gift, and it was a huge mistake. I am a dog person through and through. I am nice to the cat, and she follows me around endlessly. She wants nothing to do with DD, yet I can't go to the bathroom without her following me, and she is always tripping me! She hisses at DH all the time, for no reason. She has destroyed every set of curtains in my house. She knocked my coffee into my lap this morning and knocked over a lamp. I am so sick of it! I feel like we can't get rid of her because DD will be devastated and my dad will be so mad since he got it for her. I made a mistake that is going to last 20 years :(

Does anyone know how you can get an indoor/outdoor cat to come back? I think it would help if we let her outside sometimes, but I am afraid she would take off or something. 

Whoa, ladies! I am sorry I have not been on top of this post as I have been getting stuff done around the house. Thank you all so much for all of the helpful information! I thought I was going to be bashed by cat lovers, but you have all been awesome. 

To the one person who said she deserves a better home- I see where you are coming from, and there are times where I think about finding one for her, but DD is only three and would not understand at all. The cat does love playing with her, but won't cuddle with her. She only cuddles with me. It is funny that she has totally chosen me, the least cat loving person in the house, as "her person". I can't even sit on the toilet without seeing her little paws under the bathroom door. 

Many of you asked if she is declawed. She is not, and I will not get her declawed. I think it is kind of mean and would worry if she got out, plus she is already 7 months old and I think you have to do it by 6 months. We do have soft paws on her, and it helps somewhat, but she gets them off all of the time. 

I have not decided about letting her out yet...right now it is so freezing cold out there! Someone suggested a harness, so maybe when it is warmer we will try that. 

Although she makes me nuts, I do think a lot of it is just that she is a kitten and has a ton of energy. We all play with her, and she has toys and her scratching post, but she needs more. Thank you again for all of your help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Replies (41-50):
pampire
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Get her spayed if she isn't.  Make sure she is current on her shots and has tags.  Let her out to explore.  I go with mine the first few times they go outside.  They come back becasue home is where the food and their ppl are.

She sounds bored.  Make sure she has toys and interect with her (or DD can).  A second cat may help as well.  I have two and they play together often.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
This and we also snapped and said kitty's name, after we sprayed. Eventually he became snap-trained, so all we have to do is snap, and he stops being naughty. GL

Quoting schatzi869:

Get a water bottle (like they use at hair salons...they're 1.00 at dollar tree) and fill it with water. Spray her every time she goes to the curtains.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, had to go get groceries! To answer some questions, yes she is fixed and she is also up to date on all of her shots. She does have a scratching post and it is in a central location. She does use it all the time, but also uses my curtains, lol. My daughter loves running around with the string toy and the cat will chase her around. It just seems that she still has so much excess energy!! She spent three hours the other day ramming into the window trying to catch snow flakes...she is not the brightest, haha. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Lmao ever cute. Lol sickening little cat eh? My auntie's is the same way! But she's just so angelic, I have to scratch her back so she won't hiss at me or claw me lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kim8934
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

cats adopt their owner, not the owner adopting a cat.  they will choose whomever they want in the household.  if they are destroying everything get them: toys, scratch post and another cat.  that will keep them busy.  Also, pop milk rings off the milk jug, hours of entertainment and its free

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Idk. We have an on outside mouser cat. I hate her. I don't care for cats, although I'd never be cruel. She's well taken care of . But the ONE person who doesn't like her is the one who has to take care of her. And.. She never leaves me alone when we are outside. Even walking to the car she's between my legs or clawing at my legs.
No advice here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

bump for Edit! Oh, and yes, she is fixed!

confused969
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds young but will calm down after a while.  She is getting used to the routine and the rules of the house.  Oh and the hissing, people misunderstand that, usually cats hiss when they are frightened.  And she loves you and wants to make sure you don't leave so that is why she follows you everywhere. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Cats love to love the person who hates them, lol. As long as you feed it it will come back.....unless its killed. You might not see the cat for a few days at first, but they do come back most of the time. good luck!

Allebas
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I have found that cats just KNOW who the person is in the room that HATES cat!! ROFL!! ROFL!! My stepdad does NOT like my mom's cat at all!!! Still--the cat ALWAYS goes and sits on his lap!! My cousin came over to my mom's house and the cat went RIGHT over to her, and she made a hissing sound at him and he ran off!! (She hates cats and dogs!)

What my mom's cat LOVES, is if you take a large paper bag and open it up. Leave it on the floor--pretty soon, the cat will be playing inside the bag! IDK why they love paper bags, but my mom's cat can play in that bag for like 1/2 hour or more at one time!!

Also, if the cat isn't fixed yet, I would definately get the cat fixed. The fixed cats usually will not stray from home. All of the cats we've had have always been fixed, and none of them ever ran away. In fact, we had one cat that my mom didn't like. She wasn't a people-person cat. She refused to sit on your lap, she hated to be petted, she was WEIRD! My mom took her to a free pet adoption place. Ppl showed up to adopt a cat that was a free cat! Anyway, this cat spent a week walking from her 'new' home all the way back to our house!! It was a 10-mile trek for her, and HOW she found her way home, I have NO CLUE!! My mom felt like CRAP when she saw how skinny the poor thing had gotten after being on the road for a week! She barely even looked like the same cat! She ate like CRAZY when she came into our house. We of course, kept her after that!

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

oh gosh and thick rubber bands. My husband packs parachutes so there will be little handfuls of them sitting around here and there... they LOVE them, hours of entertainment (for me too haha)

Quoting kim8934:

cats adopt their owner, not the owner adopting a cat.  they will choose whomever they want in the household.  if they are destroying everything get them: toys, scratch post and another cat.  that will keep them busy.  Also, pop milk rings off the milk jug, hours of entertainment and its free

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)