Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

life insurance question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
Say a mother has a child with an ex husband. She puts their child as a beneficiary on her life insurance. If that she dies before the child is 18 do the funds wait until the kid turns 18 to be available or does the ex-husband maintain control of the settlement as he would probably get custody upon the death of the mother?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
You can set it up either way. Technically, without a different stipulation, it would go into a trust, available on his 18th bday, but your ex, could go with your son at a younger age and withdraw. If you dony want that to happen, make someone else the executor of the trust.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I'm the sole beneficiary to my ex-husband's life insurance and he's the sole beneficiary to mine. I don't believe a minor can be a beneficiary but check with your attorney.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
A minor can be a beneficiary, but there must then be an executor for the trust. Without an executor, the guardian of the child would automatically become the executor.

Quoting owl0210:

I'm the sole beneficiary to my ex-husband's life insurance and he's the sole beneficiary to mine. I don't believe a minor can be a beneficiary but check with your attorney.

anitarichman
by Anita on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

You would need to take the exdh off as beneficiary.  The money will have to be set up in a trust for your child or it can be set up as a monthly payment to the child. The person that sold you the insurance policy will be able to help you with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)