Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please help me figure this out! :-/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
This is a very serious situation so I would appreciate it if you all could give me real advice.

I was just cleaning my daughters room and when I was almost done I saw two boxes that she wrote on and what she wrote just broke my heart. The other one said something quite disturbing to me. She is 7 years old and I am a bit strict with her when it comes to her cleaning her room and being respectful. Lately she has been talking back and giving attitudes and I'll admit that sometimes I just don't know how to deal with it. But, I know for sure that I am not a bad parent and we do a lot of fun things together. I always find time for her everyday despite the fact that I just gave birth to her baby brother late last year. I just don't know what to do. Her father and I aren't together, I'm married to the love of my life, been together 5 years, he helped to raise my daughter. Her father is ill, battling cancer. I'm not sure to what extent he talks to her about his situation and if it has affected her in any way. My husband said that it's normal, kids write these things when they are upset or sad, but I don't know. She never gave me a reason to think that she felt this way. :'(

I'm seriously considering counceling. Please, any real advice is appreciated.

**pics will be in replies, give me a moment.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

daytonbaby210
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

She is obviously upset and bothered by something going on in her life whether it is at home or the dad being sick. I would deal with this quickly because it could escalate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Im not sure. Maybe talk to her about it and see what her dad has been saying to her. Do you know if hes terminal? I hope i helped bc idk what i would do in a situation like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Wow those are very powerful statements. Maybe she is being talked to about death and this is her way of handling it. I think she should see someone. Doesn't have to be medically could be a teacher friend pastor. Someone to talk too that isn't her norm.
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

the first pic is completely normally and on track developmentally for a child your daughter's age.  given the circumstances that she currently finds herself in with her father being ill, the second picture isn't really outrageous either.

what I would recommend is to find a therapist for her so she has someone neutral to get her feelings out to, and who can maybe teach her some coping strategies for the time when her father is no longer around or takes a big turn for the worse.

jessica1078
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I'd worry too much- the mommy one was probably spur of the moment after a punishment the other I think is due to her dad being sick.. how much does she know about his cancer and treatments? I think a mommy daughter outing may help. talk with her one on one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
allisonc75
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM
i think this is normal for her age. however neither one of the things that she wrote leads me to believe she needs counseling. but with the state her father is in i dont think counseling would hurt at all. i also have a 7 yo dd.......my daughter told me a few weeks ago when she was in one of her dramatic moods that i never listen to her and i make her want to kill herself! i dont have the slightest clue where my daughter got those words from but she didnt literally mean it...she was just acting out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dlnimo
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I hate to admit this but when I was around her age I carved into my headboard "I hate my mom" because she was strict with me.  I was grounded a lot and one day I was so mad I just scratched it into the wood.  When she found it she sat down with me and had a long talk.  I remember her telling me about why she grounded me so often and how she understood why it would it make me mad.  I would just talk with your DD and ask her about the boxes and then go from there.  Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I actually don't know if it's terminal, he always makes things seem better than what they are. It's like he's always in the hospital so I don't think he is doing well because he spoke to me about his life insurance. I asked him why he was bringing that up if he's ok and he would just brush it off.

Quoting Anonymous:

Im not sure. Maybe talk to her about it and see what her dad has been saying to her. Do you know if hes terminal? I hope i helped bc idk what i would do in a situation like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN