Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Natural Moms and/or Homesteading Moms

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Any advice you can give me about food,children,and our home life?? I plan to homeschool my children and grow/make all of our food at home.I already make out own cleaners/bathroom products.Im trying to get dh on board with reducing and/or getting rid of all the plastic in our home.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Composting is great for your garden. 

Hot bath canning is your friend and can be done outside so you don't heat up your house. We use a fishcooker base and put the hot bath pot on it.

Homeschooling can be done for almost nothing as long s you have internet and a printer.

You can make large pots of soup, and hot bath can it. It is cheaper and better than canned soups.

Homemade tomato juice, hot bath canned, is amazing in soups, spaghetti sauce and as a cold drink.

Think about building a greenhouse so you can grow produce all year long (this is on my to do list)

Get heirloom plants so you cna save he seeds for replanting.

PM me for details if you want

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I compost and garden, but want to do more.  Plus my garden hasn't really produced in the three years I've had it. Just starting to bokashi compost.  I have some innoculant fermenting and will be hanging it out to dry some time this weekend or early next week.

I make my own yogurt, so I tried the bokashi innoculant found here.  I hope it works :)

I'd like to do/learn more too, so here's a bump

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Watch Little House on the Prairie. I am sure you can get some tips there.

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

any good place to go to find info on hot bath canning?  Is that the same as using those big canning pots/pressure cookers?  Thanks for whatever info you can share

Quoting wrensong:

Hot bath canning is your friend and can be done outside so you don't heat up your house. We use a fishcooker base and put the hot bath pot on it.

Homeschooling can be done for almost nothing as long s you have internet and a printer.

You can make large pots of soup, and hot bath can it. It is cheaper and better than canned soups.

Homemade tomato juice, hot bath canned, is amazing in soups, spaghetti sauce and as a cold drink.

Think about building a greenhouse so you can grow produce all year long (this is on my to do list)

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hot bath canning is easy. 

You get those big canning pots, not a pressure canning pot.

You wash your jars in hot water and boil the lid middles for 5 minutes.

Add whatever you are canning to your jar, make sure you wipe everything off the lipof the jar or it won't seal right. Then puth the lid middle on, then the ring as tight as you can.

Set them on the rack in yor canning pot (it will come with a rack). Turn on your heat. You can do this inside, but we do it outside on our fish cooker base because it heats the house. Also some electric stove just don't get hot enough.

Once the water boils, set your times for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, set your jars (you will need to buy jar tongs) on a counter to cool. As they cool, you will hear a "pop" this is what you want to hear, it is the jars sealing.

Once the jars have cooled, check that they are all sealed. You do this by checking the middle. If it pops up, it isn't sealed. If it doesn't seal hot bath it again for another 45 minutes.

Quoting sweetboys4me:

any good place to go to find info on hot bath canning?  Is that the same as using those big canning pots/pressure cookers?  Thanks for whatever info you can share

Quoting wrensong:

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

It hasn't been producing? What are you trying to grow, and how often do you water?

Also you may want to have your soil tested. 

Quoting sweetboys4me:

I compost and garden, but want to do more.  Plus my garden hasn't really produced in the three years I've had it. Just starting to bokashi compost.  I have some innoculant fermenting and will be hanging it out to dry some time this weekend or early next week.

I make my own yogurt, so I tried the bokashi innoculant found here.  I hope it works :)

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Unfortunately my dirt is rocky and almost completely red clay. The sub soil is rock hard and tends to not let water drain. So either the roots are suffocating or drowning.  That's why I started composting so I can better amend the soil. It is so expensive to get a lot of amendment to fix the soil, so I only did a little here and there, but I don't think it did much good.

Last summer was super hot and the heirloom tomatoes I picked up at the farmers market could not handle the heat.  They quit producing early.  when they started back producing, the fruit was very small and cracked easy :(

I replanted my squash and zucchini twice last year.  Our area had a terrible infestation of squash bugs.  I was religiously checking the undersides of the leaves and disposing of eggs.  Unfortunately, I was spending so much time focused on the squash bugs, I didn't notice that they were infested with the squash vine borer. tried cutting them out of the pumpkin and replanting summer squash, but it was too late in the season.

Planted three sisters garden, corn only grew 4-5ft tall and the ears were super small.

Hoping the bokashi compost will help me build soil quickly and that this year will be better.  May even call in a couple cubic yards of top soil with decomposed chicken litter to get a jump this year, but at $30/yd3 plus $25 delivery, I am a little hesitant. 

Finished my garden plan last week and have done a lot of research into garden problem solving.  Hopefully this year will be much better

So many things. 

Quoting wrensong:

It hasn't been producing? What are you trying to grow, and how often do you water?

Quoting sweetboys4me:

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Ig you get chicken littler, make sure it is at least a year old otherwise the amonia will burn your roots. Also one year we got fresh barnyard manure and it was infested with pigweed...That stuff is terrible!!

A really good source of fertilizer is rabbit manure. If you like rabbit meat, you can raise rabbits and harvest both the meat and manure (as well as the hides if you know how to do that)

Or if you don't want to raise them, see if you can find someone who raises them that will sell or give you the manure. You can use it fresh and not have to age it.

Quoting sweetboys4me:

Unfortunately my dirt is rocky and almost completely red clay. The sub soil is rock hard and tends to not let water drain. So either the roots are suffocating or drowning.  That's why I started composting so I can better amend the soil. It is so expensive to get a lot of amendment to fix the soil, so I only did a little here and there, but I don't think it did much good.

Last summer was super hot and the heirloom tomatoes I picked up at the farmers market could not handle the heat.  They quit producing early.  when they started back producing, the fruit was very small and cracked easy :(

I replanted my squash and zucchini twice last year.  Our area had a terrible infestation of squash bugs.  I was religiously checking the undersides of the leaves and disposing of eggs.  Unfortunately, I was spending so much time focused on the squash bugs, I didn't notice that they were infested with the squash vine borer. tried cutting them out of the pumpkin and replanting summer squash, but it was too late in the season.

Planted three sisters garden, corn only grew 4-5ft tall and the ears were super small.

Hoping the bokashi compost will help me build soil quickly and that this year will be better.  May even call in a couple cubic yards of top soil with decomposed chicken litter to get a jump this year, but at $30/yd3 plus $25 delivery, I am a little hesitant. 

Finished my garden plan last week and have done a lot of research into garden problem solving.  Hopefully this year will be much better

So many things. 

Quoting wrensong:

Quoting sweetboys4me:

pampire
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Start baking your own bread.  It takes practice. If you don't have a big freezer, you will want to invest in one. When you make a dish make a double or triple portion and freeze some for later.  There are a few homesteading groups on CM check them out!

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting wrensong:

Hot bath canning is easy. 

You get those big canning pots, not a pressure canning pot.

You wash your jars in hot water and boil the lid middles for 5 minutes.

Add whatever you are canning to your jar, make sure you wipe everything off the lipof the jar or it won't seal right. Then puth the lid middle on, then the ring as tight as you can.

Set them on the rack in yor canning pot (it will come with a rack). Turn on your heat. You can do this inside, but we do it outside on our fish cooker base because it heats the house. Also some electric stove just don't get hot enough.

Once the water boils, set your times for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, set your jars (you will need to buy jar tongs) on a counter to cool. As they cool, you will hear a "pop" this is what you want to hear, it is the jars sealing.

Once the jars have cooled, check that they are all sealed. You do this by checking the middle. If it pops up, it isn't sealed. If it doesn't seal hot bath it again for another 45 minutes.

Quoting sweetboys4me:

Quoting wrensong:

I can make my homemade chicken or turkey soup and can it like this and it will be ok? What about just canning cooked meat?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN