Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

5 years old and doesn't poop in the toilet

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
help me. My dd is 5 and refuses to poop in the toilet. We have stained underware and accidents everyday.
She goes pee just fine. But refuses to poop.
We've tried everything from rewards to punishment. Im so lost and so ashamed.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Diapers.

Tell her she has to go back to them until she's a big girl.

motherinNH
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I looked into this for my now 11 year old son. It is psychological. When he was 2, he was in daycare and he had a large, painful BM (TMI: it was "stuck" for 2 hours). When I got there realized the issue, told them he would never be back. But ever since, he hold it in for days. Our pediatrician put him on lax, but due to him always holding in in, the lax made it worse. My pediatrician knows the issues, said he will out grow it. He knows what he is doing, but can not control it. Diapers made it worse, he was so upset. There is an name for it, I just can not recall it now. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My DD has been going through this also (she's 5). She has constipation problems and was scared to go poop so she holds it in until it falls out. Our Dr.perscribed miralax, were still in the middle of treatment and DD is still scared of sitting on the toilet but its getting better. Talk to your Dr. about it! 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Always rule out a medical reason before you resort to pu ishment or humillation
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

megacolon?

Quoting motherinNH:

I looked into this for my now 11 year old son. It is psychological. When he was 2, he was in daycare and he had a large, painful BM (TMI: it was "stuck" for 2 hours). When I got there realized the issue, told them he would never be back. But ever since, he hold it in for days. Our pediatrician put him on lax, but due to him always holding in in, the lax made it worse. My pediatrician knows the issues, said he will out grow it. He knows what he is doing, but can not control it. Diapers made it worse, he was so upset. There is an name for it, I just can not recall it now. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM
We've tried that. She doesn't care. Doesn't faze her in the least. :(

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Diapers.

Tell her she has to go back to them until she's a big girl.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Make her clean up after herself. If she poops in her panties, she has to put the poop in the toilet and wash the underwear out. EVERY TIME. Do not do it for her. Make her wipe herself too.

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Talk to your child's dr it my not be something your lo can really control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
She's always had large bowel movements. She was about 8 months old when it first happened. She was crying and i went to change her diaper and she had this big hard poop stuck. I was so scared and went to the store and got her the glycerin bulbs. My mil said her dad had the same problems. How do i fix it? She's 5 and its getting so frustrating.

Quoting motherinNH:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you saying it was the daycares fault that he had a large, painful BM? That's not exactly something that they can control...just curious.

Quoting motherinNH:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)