Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

autism

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Ok this is very hard for me because no mother ever wants to think something might be wrong with their child, but we are having our youngest child evaluated for autism. I called our pediatrician who is also capable of this evaluation and we have an appointment for February 4th.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? What exactly will this entail. I'm freaking out because there is an obvious problem with our daughter and I want answers
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I don't really have any words of wisdom, just that I live this everyday. My son is nearly 5 and nonverbal. He was diagnosed at 19 months. School has helped him the most, mostly the structure. On weekends, he's a little out of sorts. He still has temper tantrums at times, mostly in public, and if it's loud. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Thank you for replying. My daughter has become an entirely different person and it scares me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't really have any words of wisdom, just that I live this everyday. My son is nearly 5 and nonverbal. He was diagnosed at 19 months. School has helped him the most, mostly the structure. On weekends, he's a little out of sorts. He still has temper tantrums at times, mostly in public, and if it's loud. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

DS was like this from birth, he never regressed. How old is she and how is she different?

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for replying. My daughter has become an entirely different person and it scares me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Some of her behavior has been present since 6 months, like her hand flapping and uncontrolled fits. She is 2.5 right now. She won't speak, doesn't do eye contact, has to do an action six to ten times before she moves to something else.

Quoting Anonymous:

DS was like this from birth, he never regressed. How old is she and how is she different?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Megs_Momto3
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
My step daughters were diagnosed autistic when they were around a year, they have undergone therapy and now at 9 years old the only thing a little different is one of the girls speech. Therapy goes aLONG way with autism, take one step at a time. Hope everything goes well :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I have heard awesome things about therapy.

Quoting Megs_Momto3:

My step daughters were diagnosed autistic when they were around a year, they have undergone therapy and now at 9 years old the only thing a little different is one of the girls speech. Therapy goes aLONG way with autism, take one step at a time. Hope everything goes well :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
There are all kinds of levels. And there is all kinds of help! Many children with Autism grow up to have a normal healthy adulthood. I've worked with many children and have had the privilege to watch them learn,grow and succeed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM

It sounds like autism. '

Therapy really helped my son with repetition and eye contact, but not so much with speech or potty training. There's different spectrums of autism. I feel like there's progress, not as much as I would want but, I take it a day at a time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some of her behavior has been present since 6 months, like her hand flapping and uncontrolled fits. She is 2.5 right now. She won't speak, doesn't do eye contact, has to do an action six to ten times before she moves to something else.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Bump
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
The wait is hard. It's better after the actual diagnosis because you feel like you can DO something instead of sit around waiting. My son is autistic and is in ABA therapy. It has helped him so much! Before therapy, he couldn't even answer yes to a question, now he has progressed to the point where he can have a decent conversation. It has been wonderful! It is still hard because he really struggles with things, and always will, but his life have improved dramatically since his diagnoses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN