Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ok this is very hard for me because no mother ever wants to think something might be wrong with their child, but we are having our youngest child evaluated for autism. I called our pediatrician who is also capable of this evaluation and we have an appointment for February 4th.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? What exactly will this entail. I'm freaking out because there is an obvious problem with our daughter and I want answers
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Replies (11-14):
TheLadyAmalthea
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Well, there is nothing wrong with her, she's just different. They will basically sit down and have play time with your child. They will also talk to you about EVERYTHING. Any little detail over the course of your pregnancy to the day you're there. It should be very detailed if it is good evaluation. It took 5 hours to evaluate my son. It was very obvious that he had autism at the time, it still is obvious. Don't look at it as a problem, look at it as a challenge you are going to have to step up to. You have to be the advocate for your child to get the services that she needs. It is not completely hopeless. My son is 5 and just started saying words. He has a $7,000 communication device. It took 6 months of fighting insurance companies to get it. Since getting it, his speech just came out of nowhere. Not sure why, but something about his device is making a connection in his brain for speech. Sure, it sucks at times. He isn't potty trained. He screams, a lot. I'm starting to lose my hearing because of it. But he loves to laugh. Best sound in the world. Take the good with the bad. It isn't easy, but you love your child no matter what. Good luck with everything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Her screaming is the hardest thing to deal with because there is nothing I can do to calm her. We had cops called on us once during her tantrum because the neighbors thought we were beating her.

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

Well, there is nothing wrong with her, she's just different. They will basically sit down and have play time with your child. They will also talk to you about EVERYTHING. Any little detail over the course of your pregnancy to the day you're there. It should be very detailed if it is good evaluation. It took 5 hours to evaluate my son. It was very obvious that he had autism at the time, it still is obvious. Don't look at it as a problem, look at it as a challenge you are going to have to step up to. You have to be the advocate for your child to get the services that she needs. It is not completely hopeless. My son is 5 and just started saying words. He has a $7,000 communication device. It took 6 months of fighting insurance companies to get it. Since getting it, his speech just came out of nowhere. Not sure why, but something about his device is making a connection in his brain for speech. Sure, it sucks at times. He isn't potty trained. He screams, a lot. I'm starting to lose my hearing because of it. But he loves to laugh. Best sound in the world. Take the good with the bad. It isn't easy, but you love your child no matter what. Good luck with everything.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, the screaming is hard. It's hardest for us when it happens in the car. You obviously can't control traffic. Just a couple of weeks ago the interstate was backed up so we went a different way home. It took and hour to get home. He screamed the whole time. I about lost it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her screaming is the hardest thing to deal with because there is nothing I can do to calm her. We had cops called on us once during her tantrum because the neighbors thought we were beating her.

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Our lil lady screamed the entire duration of a twenty hour ride

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

Yeah, the screaming is hard. It's hardest for us when it happens in the car. You obviously can't control traffic. Just a couple of weeks ago the interstate was backed up so we went a different way home. It took and hour to get home. He screamed the whole time. I about lost it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)