Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help with my resume

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Alrighty, so I recently graduated high school and do not have much work experience (i didn't have to work at all, until my dad died). In my area, it is especially hard to get  a job in HS/college because its so small and economically depressed (relatively) that all of the jobs are given to older people with more experience. I saw a secretarial position, requiring a BA+ 5 years exp! ANYWAYS. I am trying to make my Resume stand out, because I haven't gotten any callbacks, though I have a good track record, and references. Here is what I am thinking, to grab attention.

You want to hire me because:

·         I am confident and outgoing.

·         I am not afraid to admit my mistakes, and seek help when I need it.

·         I have excellent communication and critical thinking skills.

·         I work well on my own, and in a group.

Do not pass me up simply for my lack of work history.  I was a leader and a doer in high school; from Equestrian Team and 4-H, to the Drama department, Cheer and Ballet, I have been involved with many clubs and activities. I am still that way today; in the last year I have completed courses in Phlebotomy, Nursing Assistance, and am currently working on my Emergency Medical Technician certification. My skills, determination, and motivation compensate for my miniscule work history.

Opinions? I'm worried that i sound to cocky, but at the same time, I need to stand out. How would you introduce me? Thank you, so much!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

BUMP!

MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Do not put an objective. No one wants to see that anymore.

At the top - either in the middle or on the left hand side your name, adress, phone number that you can EASILY be reached on and provide an email address - if your email adress is something like bigsexy69me@whatever.com GET A NEW ONE Use something somewhat professional You can now USE periods in ur email adress so try something like fristname.lastname@yahoo.com or something.

Secondly - LIST YOUR STRENGHTS! LIST WHAT YOU CAN DO! If you can type 60wpm - use it frist (if your not sure what ur wpm are - google wpm test. Do it a few times to an accurate testing score. IF you've used any Microsoft products, list them as well - excel, word, outlook. Quickbooks is always a plus on any resume if you've used it! So is powerpoint. Also - under the QUIALIFICATIONS (which is what should be frist on ur resume) make sure you put on there that you work well in a TEAM setting. And that you are open to flexible hours (if ur not flexible with hours make sure they know this ahead of time)

Thirdly DO NOT PUT REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST ON THE RESUME! IF THEY WANT YOUR REFERENCES THEY WILL ASK FOR THEM. ALWAYS HAVE THEM ON HAND and make sure you have TWO professional references at least.

Fourth - MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE your schooling - any and all school! IF you received your Diploma just simply put School name - the year you graduated and what you received Like this

Fakewood High School - Diploma 2000

Fakewood, US

I am a resume genius! =) PM if you need more help.

**GOOGLE is your friend**

You can google different terms to use in your resume. =) Good Luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I love how you've broken this down.

Really I only opened this because my resume is seriously outdated and needs major updating. But I forgot how to put one together! LOL

Quoting MamatoKy:

At the top - either in the middle or on the left hand side your name, adress, phone number that you can EASILY be reached on and provide an email address - if your email adress is something like bigsexy69me@whatever.com GET A NEW ONE Use something somewhat professional You can now USE periods in ur email adress so try something like fristname.lastname@yahoo.com or something.

Secondly - LIST YOUR STRENGHTS! LIST WHAT YOU CAN DO! If you can type 60wpm - use it frist (if your not sure what ur wpm are - google wpm test. Do it a few times to an accurate testing score. IF you've used any Microsoft products, list them as well - excel, word, outlook. Quickbooks is always a plus on any resume if you've used it! So is powerpoint. Also - under the QUIALIFICATIONS (which is what should be frist on ur resume) make sure you put on there that you work well in a TEAM setting. And that you are open to flexible hours (if ur not flexible with hours make sure they know this ahead of time)

Thirdly DO NOT PUT REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST ON THE RESUME! IF THEY WANT YOUR REFERENCES THEY WILL ASK FOR THEM. ALWAYS HAVE THEM ON HAND and make sure you have TWO professional references at least.

Fourth - MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE your schooling - any and all school! IF you received your Diploma just simply put School name - the year you graduated and what you received Like this

Fakewood, US

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

What i posted is just my intro, not my entire resume. I have my contact information, education, and whatnot included. WPM is a good idea! I listed that I am proficient with microsoft office programs, and that I took a year long class in high school based solely on MO. Thanks for the help!

Quoting MamatoKy:

Fakewood, US

MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

lol sorry. I do hiring at my job and I never read the objective its usualy fake and doesnt make the person sound better.

But seriously, make sure that if your applying to jobs - YOUR QUALIFICATIONS go with what type of job your applying for. Every business is different. So they will teach you "their' ways. You can always include a cover letter - which is where you are supposed to say "I want to have the oppurtunity to prove to you that I am the best candidate for this position. and so and so forth!

I hope this helps. =) you can always google sample *position applying for* resumes. it helped me a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really I only opened this because my resume is seriously outdated and needs major updating. But I forgot how to put one together! LOL

Quoting MamatoKy:

Fakewood, US

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

It's fine, I probably should have mentioned that it was only a portion of my resume :) My biggest problem, is that all my qualifications beyond HS are in the medical field and no one is hiring in my areas of expertise :(( I mean, in general I have an advantage over most people my age simply because I have more education but it's those damn middle-agers who have had actual careers, and completed college degrees.

Quoting MamatoKy:

lol sorry. I do hiring at my job and I never read the objective its usualy fake and doesnt make the person sound better.

But seriously, make sure that if your applying to jobs - YOUR QUALIFICATIONS go with what type of job your applying for. Every business is different. So they will teach you "their' ways. You can always include a cover letter - which is where you are supposed to say "I want to have the oppurtunity to prove to you that I am the best candidate for this position. and so and so forth!

I hope this helps. =) you can always google sample *position applying for* resumes. it helped me a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamatoKy:

Fakewood, US

kameronsmommy08
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My name, address, email, blahblahblah

Skills and Qualifications

·         Trained Phlebotomist and Nursing Assistant

·         BLS CPR certification for healthcare providers

·         70 WPM average

·         Proficient with Microsoft Office programs

·         Work well in a team

·         Self-motivated and organized

·         Outgoing and honest

Do not pass me up simply for my miniscule work history. What I lack in that aspect, I make up for with my competence and education. I would like the opportunity to show you that I am an excellent candidate to be a positive addition to your team.

(Is this still an objective, in your opinion? should I just stick with something like "i do not have an extensive work history, but I would like the opportunity to show you that I am an excellent candidate (etc,etc))?

Education

Skamania County EMS (January 2013-April 2013)

I am currently training to certify as an Emergence Medical Technician.

Columbia Gorge Community College (September 2011-Present)

I initially attended CGCC through the Running Start program as a high school senior, and am currently finishing up my Associate Degree. I am taking advanced level writing courses and an array of math, science, and art.

Gorge Occupational Health (June 2012-August 8, 2012)

I completed a Phlebotomy course after finishing a Nursing Assistant program through CGCC.

Columbia High School (2008 - 2012)

I am a graduate of Columbia High School. In my four years attending I was enrolled in advanced Mathematics, Science, Art, and English courses along with Computer Technology and Computer Applications.

Work Experience

Gorge Occupational Health, Consultant (November 2012-Present) I collect urine and hair for drug screening. I also carry out various office tasks such as answering phone calls, filing, billing, etc.

Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort, Assistant Teacher (November 2010 - February 2011) Prepared meals for children, greeted parents, performed various cleaning tasks, generally watched and entertained the children (my focus was with infants and toddlers).

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamatoKy:

Fakewood, US

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I just gave away my identity, pretty much. I'm probably going to get raped or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

My name, address, email, blahblahblah

Skills and Qualifications

·         Trained Phlebotomist and Nursing Assistant

·         BLS CPR certification for healthcare providers

·         70 WPM average

·         Proficient with Microsoft Office programs

·         Work well in a team

·         Self-motivated and organized

·         Outgoing and honest

Do not pass me up simply for my miniscule work history. What I lack in that aspect, I make up for with my competence and education. I would like the opportunity to show you that I am an excellent candidate to be a positive addition to your team.

(Is this still an objective, in your opinion? should I just stick with something like "i do not have an extensive work history, but I would like the opportunity to show you that I am an excellent candidate (etc,etc))?

Education

Skamania County EMS (January 2013-April 2013)

I am currently training to certify as an Emergence Medical Technician.

Columbia Gorge Community College (September 2011-Present)

I initially attended CGCC through the Running Start program as a high school senior, and am currently finishing up my Associate Degree. I am taking advanced level writing courses and an array of math, science, and art.

Gorge Occupational Health (June 2012-August 8, 2012)

I completed a Phlebotomy course after finishing a Nursing Assistant program through CGCC.

Columbia High School (2008 - 2012)

I am a graduate of Columbia High School. In my four years attending I was enrolled in advanced Mathematics, Science, Art, and English courses along with Computer Technology and Computer Applications.

Work Experience

Gorge Occupational Health, Consultant (November 2012-Present) I collect urine and hair for drug screening. I also carry out various office tasks such as answering phone calls, filing, billing, etc.

Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort, Assistant Teacher (November 2010 - February 2011) Prepared meals for children, greeted parents, performed various cleaning tasks, generally watched and entertained the children (my focus was with infants and toddlers).

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MamatoKy:

Fakewood, US

audreesmama
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Make sure you use spell check! Also avoid using 'I' so much. Clearly, this is about you lol. Kwim?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN